Harman XXV -- disappointing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goatman-68

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2008
Central Wisconsin
Hello all,
New to pellet burning, but figured I would buy one of the better units. So far in 7 weeks they have replaced the control board due to super high flame during startup. Next came the auger gear mtor due to excessive gear noise, this is the new design that is direct drive instead of chain drive. Next up is the auger itself, making a loud squeeling noise. So they had the auger out twice and replaced the assembly once, next had it and the slide plate out, sanded and filed the burr's. This worked for a week or so. Now it is back to a loud squeel again. I read a post on here about the slide plate being built up with fines. Sooooo, I let it run out of pellets last night and totally cleaned and vacuumed the whole stove inside and applied some graphite powder to the slide plate. I fired it up in test mode with no pellets and the squeel is just as bad and is coming from the auger, not the slide plate. So I guess it will be another call to the dealer before my 90 day free service call is up.

I have been pretty calm about this so far, but my patients are running thin.................

Anyone else having problems with the (new) design XXV with direct drive auger.

Signed,
Disappointed...................

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. I have had my XXV since September, and so far no problems.

What's the manufactered date on the stove? I too was looking at the Harman but decided against it as I wanted to see how they'd be after they got bought out. I sitting here with my Lopi and i'm very pleased. It throws a lot of heat and it's as loud as I figured. Like I said in the past,, Harman was a great stove but they're going to have to prove it to me once again (so far I'm not impressed). It atleast it sounds like you bought from a reputable dealer who's trying to make it right. Keep the pressure up but at what point do you ask for another stove. Maybe you got a lemon. All companyies have them no matter what brand. Harman is still one of the better ones no matter what but I'd think of asking for a replacement soon. Good luck and keep us up to date on what happens.

j00fek said:
i would return the stove and get another one...

I would think that the dealer would at least consider this to try to keep a customer happy. Of course the dealer is probably doing what Harmen sez they need to do... in order to get repaid for the warranty work.

I was going to buy a Harman but found a used St Croix which has been perfect so far. It's a shame you're having problems but keep your spirits up... you'll be happy you stuck it out as pellet heat is pretty neat.

not sure how it is in WI, but inn ME there is a lemon law, from what has happened so far, that would warrant a lemon

Thanks all for your input. I will see what the dealer has to say today. I am willing to give them another shot at repair, but every time they come out it is another 3 or 4 hours that i have to take off work. The dealer has been fairly responsive so far and i understand they didn't make the stove.

Supposedly this design of the XXV has only been out for 3 or 4 months and the service techs say that this design is much more difficult to service the auger on compared to the older chain drive models.

The chances of them actually giving me a different stove I would think is pretty remote unless i really start #$%#@*$##...............

goatman-68 said:
Thanks all for your input. I will see what the dealer has to say today. I am willing to give them another shot at repair, but every time they come out it is another 3 or 4 hours that i have to take off work. The dealer has been fairly responsive so far and i understand they didn't make the stove.

Supposedly this design of the XXV has only been out for 3 or 4 months and the service techs say that this design is much more difficult to service the auger on compared to the older chain drive models.

The chances of them actually giving me a different stove I would think is pretty remote unless i really start #$%#@*$##...............

then your best bet would to be &*^&*(^%&*(, do your homework first then go in with facts

Sucks to hear your stove is having so many issues, but good to hear your
dealer is responsive and trying to make it right.

I understand it is a huge PIA for both you and the dealer but atleast the
dealer is attempting to get it running right rather than blow you off.
If they cannot correct the issues, Harman would probably advise them to trade
it out for another anyway.

Ours was installed in June, love the stove, except for the squealing. I'm scraping it out every day, but still getting more squealing than we're comfortable with. Calling the dealer again (last response was the scrape out the burnpot). Not that this helps you any, but at least you know your stove isn't unique.

scrape out the end of the auger tube as well as the burn pot. I need to clean mine once a week if I am running on a low setting.

I scrape out everything I can reach, including around the tip of the auger & that opening. Sounds like the squealing is coming from the back of the stove, rather than the front.

Ours was installed in June, love the stove, except for the squealing. I’m scraping it out every day, but still getting more squealing than we’re comfortable with. Calling the dealer again (last response was the scrape out the burnpot). Not that this helps you any, but at least you know your stove isn’t unique.

I wonder if yours is the new direct drive auger, not that that has anything to do with buildup around the auger tube.

I have only burned about 12 bags since the unit was brand new and cleaned and vacuumed the whole unit twice, so either the pellets i am using are really dirty (Uncle Jeds) or the unit isn't burning them properly.

If I would have bought a (cheapie) stove I guess I would expect problems, or if the stove was a few years old, that is expected, but mine is only a couple monthe old.

One thing i forgot to mention, the glass is also permanently stained in a few spots from the (high flame) original poblem.

Dealer still has not called me back as of this morning yet, so we will see......................

mlwschultz said:
I scrape out everything I can reach, including around the tip of the auger & that opening. Sounds like the squealing is coming from the back of the stove, rather than the front.

I did scrape and vacuume as far in as I could reach and yes the noise does seem to be coming from the rear of the unit.

goatman-68 said:
Ours was installed in June, love the stove, except for the squealing. I’m scraping it out every day, but still getting more squealing than we’re comfortable with. Calling the dealer again (last response was the scrape out the burnpot). Not that this helps you any, but at least you know your stove isn’t unique.

I wonder if yours is the new direct drive auger, not that that has anything to do with buildup around the auger tube.

I have only burned about 12 bags since the unit was brand new and cleaned and vacuumed the whole unit twice, so either the pellets i am using are really dirty (Uncle Jeds) or the unit isn't burning them properly.

If I would have bought a (cheapie) stove I guess I would expect problems, or if the stove was a few years old, that is expected, but mine is only a couple monthe old.

One thing i forgot to mention, the glass is also permanently stained in a few spots from the (high flame) original poblem.

Dealer still has not called me back as of this morning yet, so we will see......................

I can guarantee that the Uncle Jeds pellets arent your problem... they burn pretty clean. If you bought your stove from ESES give the service dept. another call. I had to leave a message for them yesterday but they called back within a few hours...

Don't know about the direct drives but.........
The squeal could be from the auger being missaligned with the tube......If it is, it needs to be emptied pull out auger clean out excess silicon from the end of the tube(where the bearing seats)
reinstall auger and tighten the bolts evenly.....
It could be that the auger and the motor, and or motor mount are not lined up and pulling the auger out of line......

Sorry to hear there's a problem with your stove. I suppose even a reputable stove manufacturer occasionally has a lemon.

Mine was bought in May, installed in August and has burned a ton of pellets thus far without a problem. Hopefully this will continue for years...

Well I double checked and rescraped the burn pot area, including the entrance of the auger tube. Still squeals and now when it is warm it changes to a howling noise. Here is a short clip of the noise when cold.

Here is noise when warmed up.

I can't complain about the dealer (ESES), when I call they are appologetic and want the problem to be solved as much as I do. They did say that they have been in contact with Harman about my problem and others experiencing the same problem. I was told that the direct drive auger has been used on other Harman stoves for awhile but has just recently been implemented on the XXV.

Wow... That things howls like the 5AM express train to Grand Central station...

My St Croix Pepin has a rattle when the fan is running at full speed...until I take some time to figure that out I can turn down the fan speed and it goes away...

Good luck with that stove.

Sure sounds like some sort of auger problem to me....like it's too tight or out of alignment with the auger flight, and when things get warm and expand slightly, that changes the pitch.....that would drive me insane!

I have an XXV--it was installed in Oct, and I have also had the noise problem with the direct drive motor. It drove us nuts! It took two visits for the tech to fix it, but I'm now pleased. He told me that Harman said they're having a lot of problems with the new motors making noise. But, I'm pleased with their fix--it's been two weeks and the noise hasn't come back.

As far as the flame being too high--how would I know if I have that problem too? Sometimes it does seem like it gets sort of high, but I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

from the sound in the video I'd pull the feed plate. Dry lube and sand smooth the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.