Harman XXV -- disappointing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lecomte38 said:
from the sound in the video I'd pull the feed plate. Dry lube and sand smooth the edges.

That was done the last time the service guy was out, he had auger and slide plate out and sanded both. It is not coming from the slide plate though, it is definitely coming from the auger. Although last night after I scraped the burn pot area and auger entrance again I put a couple cups of pellets in and added dry graphite to them and ran through on test mode, made no difference.

They are coming out on Saturday morning so I will have to burn FOSSIL fuel till then.

I am hoping they will offer at least a half of skid of pellets for the hassle, if not I will ask for them................. :)

GVA said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/27151/
My squeal is in this thread...
Happened long long time ago and it was the auger rubbing on the tube

I listened to that video and I agree that the auger was out of alignment since it only squealed during half of the auger complete revolution.

The service dept. sent out there veteran tech today to look at it and found that the auger gearbox was doing all the squealing. We had the gearbox out and powered it up and it was quiet until we put a side load on the output shaft, squealed like a greased pig. This is the 3rd auger gearbox in the stove and only a couple months old. I hope this one lasts for awhile.............. He said that is the first time he has seen a gearbox squeal like that.

So all is good for now.

I Would like to add that (Earth Sense Energy Systems) has been very prompt at addressing the problem. I think this gearbox is going to be a continuing problem with the new style drive system

I do feel a little like a guinea pig with (new) design XXV and that Harman may not have spent enough time testing, before releasing the stove.

It is a Gleason, but don't know the date code. Do you know something I don't know about these??

Rick

The GA motors with a date code after nov 05 are a better version than the previous model, they used to break gears ALOT usually the final reduction gear....
They (GA) to my knowledge never corrected the output shaft bushing sliding out of the case allowing the final reduction gear only meshing in the gear partially....
You can check this by pulling the output shaft in and out of the gear case if it moves more that an 1/8" she may fail.... or by looking at the gearbox the bushing should not protrude beyond flush with the housing........ There is a fix for this but they (GA) did not want to make the change when I talked to them...

The GA was used on the chain drive harmans the Jakal was used on the direct drive harmans
they can be interchanged with each other if the stator is flipped over.....

Maybe the dealer could put a jakal on and try it......

Update-- Well the dealer was out yesterday and replaced the auger motor again after the auger quit turning and stopped dropping pellets. It turns out that the bolt that locks the auger onto the gear motor came loose. There is a (flat) on the gearmotor shaft and with the motor bolted tight to the stove the auger slides on to far, missing the flat on the shaft. Also the tech noticed that the bracket was actually cocking the motor when bolted tight. The bottom line is that the bracket holding the motor to stove has a problem with its design. We left the one self tapping bolt loose that was causing the bracket to cock and pull the motor on to the auger too far. All is fine for now and the auger is totally quiet now, so we shall see......................

Status
Not open for further replies.