Harman XXV vs Quadra Fire Vermont A E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffleman

Aug 16, 2016
Not sure
Trying to decide between these 2 pellet stoves. Looks like the Quadra Fire pellet stoves built 10 years ago were unreliable from older forum posts. How about Now? Also, which is Quieter?

Trying to decide between these 2 pellet stoves. Looks like the Quadra Fire pellet stoves built 10 years ago were unreliable from older forum posts. How about Now? Also, which is Quieter?

Both are beautiful stoves, i prefer the XXV, (personal bias) plus parts are cheaper.

AE has very expensive electrical components, but those DC motors sure are quiet! Early 2006-07 or 08 AE's are known for software issues, burnpot roaring noises. Maybe some issues are blown out of proportion, or I've just had better luck than most, but issues are well documented.

If I remember correctly, the Quad AE had a serious issue (as in dangerous, if it developed) a year or two ago. They have most likely gotten the issue fixed, and it was apparently only a few stoves that had the issue, just thought I would make you aware.

Ah, thanks Lake Girl for the correction. I got confused (not being a Quad person, plus I confuse easily :confused:). From the title of the HobokenKitchen's post, I was thinking it was the AE that had the safety issue - but after reading further in it was the E2 and they replaced it with the AE - of which she was not happy with for reasons that had nothing to do with safety.

I have Quad MVAE. Dealer installed in 2011. Considered a Harmen. Hubby does techie. Wife does decor. She won. Bought the mahogany porcelain unit. It's beautiful and a workhorse. From the beginning of the real cold weather I run it wide open. Burn about 5 tons per season. Gotta keep it clean though. It's part of my Sunday morning ritual along with cooking breakfast and doing the dishes.

Don't think you can go wrong with either. The MV is quieter than the XXV, but the Harman would get the utmost reliability check mark, in my view. I still would say the MV is very reliable and is a tremendous heater, it is a bit more expensive than its E2 sister which is the same heater BTW. The E2 costs less, is extremely quiet also. I'd check that unit out too, you might like it just as well. Sitting side by side, they look identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.