Harmen Accentra - feeding too many pellets!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyC

Jan 2, 2015
MA
Hi Everyone,

We own a Harmen Accentra insert that is about 4 years old. It's been working like a champ up until this week, where now it's feeding pellets too quickly into the burn pot. The flames look weird and it's dumping partially burned pellets into the ash tray below and the pile eventually climbs up to the burn pot.

We gave the unit a thorough cleaning about a week ago and it worked fine after that. We also tried a "hard reset" but unplugging the unit and turning the switch to off. Currently the feeder setting is on 3 and the thermostat is on 70.

Thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_8157.JPG
    IMG_8157.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 218
From Harman Trouble-shooting:

Partially Burned Pellets:

Feed Rate: Check to make sure that your feed
rate is properly set, a setting of 3 or 4 is a
sufficient setting to start out with.

(You can rule out that one)

Low Draft: Make sure that the burn pot is tight,
clean out plate is properly secured to burn pot and
door gaskets are all in their proper place.

I would also check the fines box & its cover.

Cleaning: For proper combustion you need to
make sure that the heat exchanger and burn pot
are properly cleaned so that air can freely flow
throughout the unit.

Are the holes clear in the burnpot?

Thanks Daksy. The feeder is set to 3. I gave the unit a thorough cleaning about a week ago, though I did not clean the heat exchanger (I believe that's on the side of the unit?). The holes are clear in the burn pot. We will watch some youtube videos on property cleaning and give it a through cleaning job this weekend.

I'm thinking someone went through this a while back ( couple of years ago) and he ended using a rod or flex snake to rod out some passages he had not gotten to before.

Yes Alternativeheat i think you are right. The back exhaust passages need a bottle brush or snake run through them. Leaf blower trick would probably do wonders afterwards too.

Did you undo the 2 wing nuts to gain access to the igniter and clean out good in there. If so then I'm with alternative on this. Check the exhaust port on the left side of the stove. Remove the left baffle to expose the heat exchanger and you'll see the exhaust path. That side of the stove is prone to clogging up with ash. While your in there getting down and dirty do the right side to

Status
Not open for further replies.