Harmon Accentra insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
Has anyone burned a mixture of corn and pellets in their Harmon Accentra?.What were the results? Can It be done ? Tia Tony

i've done it just as an experiment, about 80 lbs of corn. Mixed it 50/50 with pellets. It burned fine, some blue-ish flames, slightly more clinker than just pellets. A bit more ash as well.

I think corn has more BTU per pound so if you can get corn cheaper than pellets maybe worth it. That stove is not built to burn 100% corn, only blend and I believe Harman suggest 60/40 (pellets/corn). Corn has sugar which is more acidic than wood. Have to clean burn pot a lil more. Theres prolly some folks on here who burn corn full time...they can likely give you a better feel for that. I just did it cuz I saw the bagged corn at local Blue Seal, so I picked up 2 bags just to see what happens.

official word from the company is that their pellet units can burn a 60:40 mix of wood pellts to corn. that being said, expect more clinkers to clean out, and more cleaning maint in the future. i would reccomend a tru corn stove (like the PC45) to burn if you were thinking of using corn on a regular basis... on the plus side, units that burn corn are more easilly adaptable to burn woodpellets as well.. it is not so true the other way around.

I have burned up to about 15% corn in my harman accentra. No problems or clinkers to speek of just a little dirtier than the pellets. I believe the ash from the pellets helps prevent the corn clinkers.

My parents have the PC-45. Great stove. They converted it to run pellets but can change the auger back to run just corn whenever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.