Harmon p61 or p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
basically the same stove. All the parts are interchangeable (mostly). The only real difference is the size of the unit and the maximum amount of pellets it can feed at a given time. Sound the same, clean the same. BTW, stoves only eat as many pellets as you tell them to eat.

I have found both stoves for sale at a discount price. The p61 brand new for $ 3300.00 and the p68 is a demo used a few times for $ 2800.00. So, I am trying to decide on witch stove I should buy.

$2800 is a good price on a slightly used P68, you get the full warranty? If so, get the 68. Even if you don't "need" the extra BTU output, you get a bigger hopper, the fancy mirrored glass and the door latch is nicer on the 68. Running on low they have the same appetite and output, but you can turn the 68 up higher than the 61. Good luck.

68... do it now

Delta-T said:
$2800 is a good price on a slightly used P68, you get the full warranty? If so, get the 68. Even if you don't "need" the extra BTU output, you get a bigger hopper, the fancy mirrored glass and the door latch is nicer on the 68. Running on low they have the same appetite and output, but you can turn the 68 up higher than the 61. Good luck.

generally speaking, a demo unit's warrantee will start when the unit is demo'd.....agreed, buy the P68, as long as you can still get the tax credit on it.......if you cant, go the P61A

P-68.

Eric

First year P-68 heating a 2 floor modified cape from an uninsulated basement. Sure the bedrooms on the 2nd floor are cooler and use a little HHO on the real cold snaps, but 1st floor hits 75 plus without even trying hard. It is a little noisy, but it is also in the basment all by its lonesome (and maybe a cat or two)

P-68..............and good quality pellets

It is always easier to turn the stove down when you get too hot then it is to wish for more heat when the stove is on the high sprocket.

rona said:
It is always easier to turn the stove down when you get too hot then it is to wish for more heat when the stove is on the high sprocket.

"X2" Been there done that, Brrrrrr!

jtakeman said:
rona said:

Always aim for a stove that can heat your place at midpoint in its firing rate for your "normal" winters.

That way you don't get caught in the cold when those winter winds and bone chilling temps hit.

jtakeman said:
rona said:

"X3"
P61 rated at 2000sq ft +
We are heating 1540 sq ft
Nice to have the extra HP when needed.
If the P68 fits like ours, get it!
Very good price!

you can always have a smaller fire in a bigger stove.... 68... do it

I agree, size the stove to do the job running in its mid range.

The only other solution is the way I have done things, and that is to have Multiple stoves around the house.

One big Quad that can hunker down and pull the entire load if need be.

A fairly large Whitfield to handle one end of the house when its cold and a little bitty Whitfield for moderate weather when a little spot fire is all thats needed to heat the entire place.

Now this said buying 3 new stoves is not cost effective.

Unless your a Craigs list scrounge like me and drag the beasts home for $200 each and fixem up.

Sounds like the folks have it all together as to which stove is the right choice for you.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.