Harmon pc45-------generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I saw your reply sooner, it was cold and I kept trying to get it going. Now that I have house power back, when I flip switch to auto, to start ignition get nothing, however motors run in test mode. Do you think I fried board??

Thank you and everyone else who responded to my question, I really appreciate it.

Thanks, Jerry

I have a 7500 Watt Generac Generator with a transfer switch to power most areas of the house..
That said,
I DO NOT use the generator to run my Harman due to the dirty[ fluctuating power] coming off of it..
I am leary of burning up or ruining the circuit board in the Harman...
I Run my Oil Furnace for heat in the event of power Outtage..[Saved a million gallons of oil anyways.] ALL my hardwired rooms and such are connected to the transfer switch which is connected to the main power box.
If you do not have any other heat source, you may think about a Honda Inverter type that generates clean steady power...
I didn't buy one because they are too pricey for the lower wattage and already have a big Generator for the house and a backup heat source.
btw: I;m sure there are some here who have not had a problem using a standard Genny to run the're stoves.. I just won't chance it since I don't have to..

There should be no issue if you are powering most of the house and the stove too. There are enough other circuits energized that the waveform is smoothed out. I'm in the same scenario but with a Generac 17 KW standbuy unit. Runs my stove and computer and all the electronics, no issue, but I'm energizing most of the electrical appratus in the house at the same time.

Reactions: F4jock
There should be no issue if you are powering most of the house and the stove too. There are enough other circuits energized that the waveform is smoothed out. I'm in the same scenario but with a Generac 17 KW standbuy unit. Runs my stove and computer and all the electronics, no issue, but I'm energizing most of the electrical appratus in the house at the same time.
Woof, thats a lot of Genny. Typical house I think is under 10KW and the newer homes half that.

Woof, thats a lot of Genny. Typical house I think is under 10KW and the newer homes half that.

Not really, It still won't run everything. I can't run my shop and I can't heat the stock tanks. Next one will be a diesel stationary unit, at least 25KW and 3 phase. I'll just plumb it to the diesel storage tank. I have 1000 gallons of diesel on hand all the time. Got my eye on a Cummins turbocharged diesel unit, 30KW 440/3. Trying to weedle it out of the people I work for, it's just sitting unused in the warehouse.

I will say that when we are on standby, the clothes dryer drys in half the time and the washermachine really washes.... Could be my imagination, but I don't think so. I have 300/220/3 incoming from the pole and could use more sometimes. Electric bills here are like mortgage payments and no electric (resistance) heating either.

Wish I saw your reply sooner, it was cold and I kept trying to get it going. Now that I have house power back, when I flip switch to auto, to start ignition get nothing, however motors run in test mode. Do you think I fried board??

Thank you and everyone else who responded to my question, I really appreciate it.

Thanks, Jerry

I'd check your tubular fuses on the baord before anything. They are real low amperage.

Does the combustion blower run when turned on and can you manually light it?

I have an old point-ignition Onan 17.6 KW running on propane and a newer auto-transfer switch (21 yrs old or so) Have no problem running my entire house including the 6 yr old Harnan.

If the pump dose not start your toast. Was told by dealer that if that goes south that it takes the igniter with it. That fancy aquarium pump is over $300 and the igniter is around a Franklin:( Think Scott replaced with a comparable cfm aquarium air pump on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.