Harmon XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleemer

Nov 20, 2008
mid-coast Maine
Being an owner of a newly installed Harmon XXV, I have a few questions;
1. Why is the glass door getting BLACK within two or three hours.
2. Is the flame REALLY supposed to be orange-ish and lapping at the top of the door?
3. I have auger set at 4 yet the stove is pushing burning pellets into the ash pan right after startup.
4. There is a constant high-pitched whine outside the house. We sometimes hear it in the house, especially at night. Normal?
The stove has been seen three times by a Harmon tech. Pan gasket was replaced and a few settings were changed
The stove has an outside air / exhaust device installed through the wall.
Thanks

bleemer said:
Being an owner of a newly installed Harmon XXV, I have a few questions;
1. Why is the glass door getting BLACK within two or three hours.
2. Is the flame REALLY supposed to be orange-ish and lapping at the top of the door?
3. I have auger set at 4 yet the stove is pushing burning pellets into the ash pan right after startup.
4. There is a constant high-pitched whine outside the house. We sometimes hear it in the house, especially at night. Normal?
The stove has been seen three times by a Harmon tech. Pan gasket was replaced and a few settings were changed
The stove has an outside air / exhaust device installed through the wall.
Thanks

Try giving the burn pot a good scraping especially down at the bottom where there are four holes. Clean under the burn pot by removing the two thumb screws and removing the ash, unplug the stove when you do this. Try unhooking the fresh air and making sure the flap moves freely and run it with it unhooked to see if it helps. Turn the feed rate down, and let it burn for awhile this may help with it pushing out the pellets. The pellets I am using now are cut smaller so I have feed rate set lower. The flame should be a light yellow-ish and not a lazy flame. Sounds like you have a problem with air being pulled in that is why you are getting the whining.

the harman direct vent passthrough that has the air intake built in...it comes w/ this foam insulation in the intake hole. that needs to be pulled out, so the pipe can suck air. wouldn't be the first time that its been overlooked.

Thanks for the advice. I have turned down the feed rate. Will wait until tomorrow to check the intake hole.
Should the fire be burning at the top of the door and turning downward? I also notice that the top of the heat chamber is white, as are four of the heat exchanger "tubes". Is this normal?

bleemer said:
Thanks for the advice. I have turned down the feed rate. Will wait until tomorrow to check the intake hole.
Should the fire be burning at the top of the door and turning downward? I also notice that the top of the heat chamber is white, as are four of the heat exchanger "tubes". Is this normal?

My heat exchanger fins collect a white ash. I think this is normal. What is not normal is the black soot on the window after only a few hours. Mine will collect a very light colored, almost grey, soot after a day or so of running flat out. I would think that you are not getting enough combustion air. As was previously mentioned, I would check the air intake to make sure it isn't blocked.

I would at least unhook the fresh air intake from the stove to see if that is the problem, sounds like you are not getting enough air. As cac4 said it could have the foam insulation in the intake hole. I think they just pull out not sure don't have it on mine. The more pellets you feed the higher the flame will be. I have had my flame go to the top then bend half way back down when at the max feed setting and temp setting.

Thanks again for the advice. As cac4 said, the air inlet was blocked by insulation! Wouldn't you think that the installer would know to remove it? That goes for the technician also! I now have a bright flame, a clean door-glass and a lot more heat with less waste in the ash pan. You folks are awesome! From now on I will ask this forum and do the work myself. Thanks again.

...and I haven't even got a stove installed yet.
8-/
that says something. exactly what...I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.