Harvesting dropped trees on (Connecticut) state land.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Nov 8, 2007
Connecticut
Is harvesting dropped trees (already dead) on state land permitted in Connecticut ?

I know that I have seen signs that ask you not to remove anything from state parks (like at Hammonasset). What ever is there is a part of the ecosystem. I suspect it wouldn't be appreciated! You can get permits to cut firewood on water company property. Contact the Regional Water Authority if you are in the New Haven area.

Larry D

Check with land owners who had land just logged. A lot of tree tops left behind. I'm going down to the land assessor tomorrow to find out who owns a piece that was logged a little while ago. Check with DEP on that one though

Connecticut has several US Army Corps of Engineers projects and in some of the recreation areas firewood gathering of downed wood is permitted. I have excerpted a screen shot as an attachment and I think this applies to all Army Corps facilities.

You can find that here. I have had OK luck getting some wood from the local dam in the spring when then empty out the log boom. That may be an option for you as well.

Attachments

• firewood.jpg
    firewood.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 293
Mattatuck forest is next to my property; they give permits to go in and take wood. You just have to get to the DEP and Id what it takes to get a permit for a place near you.
Also many landowners with forestland, will let you in to take trees that have fallen;and there are always a bunch of them due to high winds, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.