Has Anyone Ever Used Wood and Sons Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 29, 2015
Massachusetts
I recently purchased a ton of Wood and Sons pellets. I’m wondering if they sprinkle unicorn dust in their pellets, because my quirky Italian stove has never run so well.

Seriously though, there doesn't seem to be anything special about them, as they're just a softwood/pine pellet. But, I've never experienced a pellet that burned so cleanly and consistently as this brand.

Has anyone else used them?

Personally never burned them but reports I hear say the same as you.

Interestingly, my second ton of Wood and Sons pellets performed nothing like the first. This time the consistency was off and they burned like cheap box-store pellets. They must have left out the unicorn dust this time. :(

Pellitized biomass quality entirely depends on where they source the feedstock at so quality can and will differ from batch to batch. In realty there is no consistency except with pellet extruders like Somerset that produce all their own feedstock from owned forest lands and scrap wood from their flooring operations. 90% of the others get it where they can and that may include scrap wood pallets.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Pellitized biomass quality entirely depends on where they source the feedstock at so quality can and will differ from batch to batch. In realty there is no consistency except with pellet extruders like Somerset that produce all their own feedstock from owned forest lands and scrap wood from their flooring operations. 90% of the others get it where they can and that may include scrap wood pallets.
That would explain it. Thanks!

All biomass stoves are just like an old fashion carburetor. You have to adjust the fuel-air mix according to what you are burning. No unit is particular about what pellet fuel it's combusting but it is particular about the A/F ratio. I'm constantly adjusting mine every day actually. Why most of them have adjustable combustion fans and draft adjustment. If a particular pellet runs poorly, look at the fuel bed and the flame produced and adjust accordingly. Even the build up of fly ash in the firebox will impact how a pellet burns. More fly ash means reduced combustion draft flow means the mixture is getting too rich. Time to adjust the combustion draft.

All biomass stoves are just like an old fashion carburetor. You have to adjust the fuel-air mix according to what you are burning. No unit is particular about what pellet fuel it's combusting but it is particular about the A/F ratio. I'm constantly adjusting mine every day actually. Why most of them have adjustable combustion fans and draft adjustment. If a particular pellet runs poorly, look at the fuel bed and the flame produced and adjust accordingly. Even the build up of fly ash in the firebox will impact how a pellet burns. More fly ash means reduced combustion draft flow means the mixture is getting too rich. Time to adjust the combustion draft.
I agree. But, this last batch of pellets must have been made from Balsa wood. :(

Balsa wood isn't cheap..... :p

The feedstock that went in the tub grinder could have been landfill material of 'undisclosed' origin. When feedstocks get low like now in the winter, extruders buy whatever they can get to keep production going (and people employed) which is why I always buy my pellets in the early fall when the first shipments arrive because I know they are good ones. The only exception to that is if I can get leftover pellets from the previous year at a hefty discount and I usually can. Most retailers don't have the capability of inside pellet storage so they sit outside in the weather and the top ones usually get ruined, so if I buy them, I only take pallets from the stacks under the topmost pallet. That happened this last summer at my local Tractor supply. Did some snooping around in their back lot and found 20 pallets of left over pellets. stacked 2 high, so I negotiated a price (got them for well under 200 a ton) and when the associate loaded them on my tri axle gooseneck. I stood there and instructed him to remove the top pallets and give me only the second ones. I took 4 ton. Haven't used any yet, all in the barn. I'm using pellets from the previous year I bought the same way. Probably won't touch these for at least 2 years. I have plenty of previous years pellets to roast.

I'm cheap (or 'frugal') as they say in Maine but not stupid and I have the room to store them too.

Retailers don't want to sit on unsold pellets anyway. They become a liability pretty quick.

Interestingly, my second ton of Wood and Sons pellets performed nothing like the first. This time the consistency was off and they burned like cheap box-store pellets. They must have left out the unicorn dust this time. :(

I'm just starting my second ton of the Wood & Sons too. Still loving them. Maybe you're due for a good mid-season stove cleaning?

Last season, my friend used 2 tons of Wood & Sons eastern white pine wood pellets from Maine in his Harman Accentra FS.
He said a lot of heat and so little ash!!

D214A2CE-446D-4FAB-A898-ABD01295616E.jpeg

Our Englander 25-PDVC loved them!
Very good product....low ash
Our Harman burns almost anything so did not try them in it.

Mike

Reactions: Don2222
Our Englander 25-PDVC loved them!
Very good product....low ash
Our Harman burns almost anything so did not try them in it.

Mike
Not quite everything. :)

Digging up an old post. I just recently installed a P38+ and bought 4 bags to try. I also bought 4 bags of the Northern Warmth Supreme Douglas Fir. I was kinda excited about the Northern Warmth as I was reading they are the rebranded Okaies. I'm currently testing out the Main Woods right now as well. I have a bag of Cubix and a Bag of Barefoot that my parents burn in there stove as well. I must say I didn't think the Wood and Sons did I good job until I burned the other 2 brands. There was so much black ash and buildup in the pot from the Northerns and the Maine's. The Maine's I kinda expected to be different since they are a blend. We will see how the Cubix do tonight. I must say I was completely disappointed with the Northern Warmth especially after they were touted as the best of the best. I think I'm gonna bite on 2 tons of the Maine Woods and see what happens. Any of you guys have any more updates after burning them? Thanks.

Reactions: Wildbil26
Digging up an old post. I just recently installed a P38+ and bought 4 bags to try. I also bought 4 bags of the Northern Warmth Supreme Douglas Fir. I was kinda excited about the Northern Warmth as I was reading they are the rebranded Okaies. I'm currently testing out the Main Woods right now as well. I have a bag of Cubix and a Bag of Barefoot that my parents burn in there stove as well. I must say I didn't think the Wood and Sons did I good job until I burned the other 2 brands. There was so much black ash and buildup in the pot from the Northerns and the Maine's. The Maine's I kinda expected to be different since they are a blend. We will see how the Cubix do tonight. I must say I was completely disappointed with the Northern Warmth especially after they were touted as the best of the best. I think I'm gonna bite on 2 tons of the Maine Woods and see what happens. Any of you guys have any more updates after burning them? Thanks.
Why not stick with the Wood and Sons??
IMHO.. the white pine is going to burn better than most anything shy of real Douglas Fir..

Dan

Reactions: Bob Sorjanen
Why not stick with the Wood and Sons??
IMHO.. the white pine is going to burn better than most anything shy of real Douglas Fir..

Dan
Dan I think I'm going to. I was excited to try the Doug firs but they burned like absolute crap in my stove. I just lit the cubex up and we shall see what the morning brings. I got them for free so I figured not. The only reason I didn't get the Wood and Sons this last time is the place was closed this weekend. Im regretting not calling earlier to get a few bags to hold me over. These MWP burn like crap so far.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I'm liking Wood and Sons for vg heat and very low ash. The only problem I've experienced with them is that they seem a bit sticky and funnel in my stove's chute. I had a gap yesterday that caused the stove to go out. I hope a good cleaning and smoothing of the chute will help eliminate this problem.

I'm liking Wood and Sons for vg heat and very low ash. The only problem I've experienced with them is that they seem a bit sticky and funnel in my stove's chute. I had a gap yesterday that caused the stove to go out. I hope a good cleaning and smoothing of the chute will help eliminate this problem.
I had the same exact problem with mine! I eneded up scotch padding the whole inside of the hopper and washing with acetone. Someone had painted the stove at some point and gotten over spray all over it. After that I ended up putting a heavy coat of paste wax on it. The pellets still funnel but they eventually will all work to the bottom. It definitely sucked before that the stove wouldn't even make the night. I'd still have half a bag on the sides and the auger was empty. I'd definitely buy the wood and sons again. They seem to burn quick but the cleanest I've burned in my set up at least.

Dan I think I'm going to. I was excited to try the Doug firs but they burned like absolute crap in my stove. I just lit the cubex up and we shall see what the morning brings. I got them for free so I figured not. The only reason I didn't get the Wood and Sons this last time is the place was closed this weekend. Im regretting not calling earlier to get a few bags to hold me over. These MWP burn like crap so far.
Bob 171 What did you think of the Cubex pellets?

Bob 171 What did you think of the Cubex pellets?
To be honest I only had one bag to burn. I did notice they burned dirty but had amazing heat. They also lasted a bit longer then the softwoods. I know my sister has been burning them up with decent success. There only complaint is it makes the stove extremely dirty. Are you burning them as well?

To be honest I only had one bag to burn. I did notice they burned dirty but had amazing heat. They also lasted a bit longer then the softwoods. I know my sister has been burning them up with decent success. There only complaint is it makes the stove extremely dirty. Are you burning them as well?
They are all I use now the others that I can get here are very very dirty .
The ash from Cubex is not the greatest but the heat more than makes
up for the little extra cleaning

concerning the NW Dog firs, I have 3 tons leftover in my basement..
cost is now around 449.00 ton here in the east due to shipping costs so I got in under the wire couple seasons ago.
yes the firs are a bit of a dissapointment as the ash although still low is more coarse black as compared to yrs before when light colored.
get some funneling and more fines than in the past. Heat is prob 9K BTU as advertized..
i burn exclusive softies but would burn Turman hardwoods if my nearby dealer didnt want arm/leg for them.
flooring and cabinet sawdust... doesn't get any cleaner or more consistant...

They are all I use now the others that I can get here are very very dirty .
The ash from Cubex is not the greatest but the heat more than makes
up for the little extra cleaning
I got in late to the party this year and didn't have much time to experiment. I needed something to heat as my house is all electric at the moment and needs windows and doors. I plan on doing some more experiments with different brands to be ready for next year. Although the house will have greatly been improved so maybe these wood and sons will be just my regular brand. I was thinking about getting a bigger stove as well. I have an older P38 with the upgraded board at the moment.

I know this is an older post but I have loved the Maine woods. The cubix I tried had great heat output but the ash and how dirty my glass got was as bad as the big box stores cheap ones. I was not impressed with Cubix. The wood and sons is amazing so far, hardly any ash buildup in the pot and glass buildup is minimal. Heat output is really good as well. So far my favorite pellet!

Reactions: Pete Zahria