Has Anyone Made Their Own Gaskets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subtle

Feb 2, 2012
So NH
Hi all, kind of new here and love the forum so anyway, the thought of spending around $30-$40 to replace 2 fiberglass gaskets on my stove kind of bothers me. So I’m thinking of making my own out of this material that I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pellet-Stov...019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c63ca8a0b

Has anyone tried this? What are your thoughts on this? Looks like it would be kind of easy to do…just trace out the pattern make a few cuts and Ta Dah.

iirc, lytherm can be found at some auto parts stores.
i had the thread bookmarked. but i found a great deal on the gaskets i need, so i got rid of the bookmark.
but there is a thread here somewhere about this.

I bought flat stove gasket material from a stove dealer, and made my own gaskets for the pipe adapter on the back of my old stove. Worked great !

I bought these sheets of Lytherm off of ebay.. You have to trace the old gasket. But I got 4 sheets for the pice of 3 combustion blower gaskets...

Attachments

• 2012-04-18_21-14-27_240.jpg
    2012-04-18_21-14-27_240.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 335
Thanks everyone for your help, I will go with the Lytherm.

Hi all, kind of new here and love the forum so anyway, the thought of spending around $30-$40 to replace 2 fiberglass gaskets on my stove kind of bothers me. So I’m thinking of making my own out of this material that I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pellet-Stov...019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c63ca8a0b

Has anyone tried this? What are your thoughts on this? Looks like it would be kind of easy to do…just trace out the pattern make a few cuts and Ta Dah.

which gaskets are you replacing?

The combustion fan to housing and burn pot.

hm....the burn pot gasket (I think there's two, one outside the body and one inside the body- tho I might be wrong) should cost around 4 bucks......and I dont believe there is a combustion blower gasket at all (assuming youre talking about the P43 and not the Englander stove).....so, Im looking at $8 or so from a Harman dealer.....hard to beleive you could get the material online and make them for cheaper than that.....as for it its Englander gaskets, well, no idea there

I should have clarified, it’s for my Englander.
Burn Pot - $9.24
Combustion fan -$13.5
Shipping - $12.5
Total = $35.24
It’s a no brainer…buy material, make my own.

Reactions: DexterDay
Just ordered a couple of 11" x 13" x 1/8" Lytherm sheets to make a couple of gaskets for the comb. blower, and will use the leftover material to make gaskets to seal the burn pot to the cradle on my 10-cpm. $17.00 (includes shipping) on eBay.

Hello

I just made my own Combustion Blower gasket! Just 10 Easy Steps!
The exhaust blower gasket I cut myself for $4.50 instead of buying the OEM gasket for $27.10 ! !
See my recipe with pics! ! !
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ower-hi-temp-lytherm-gasket-from-sheet.86680/

I should have clarified, it’s for my Englander.
Burn Pot - $9.24
Combustion fan -$13.5
Shipping - $12.5
Total = $35.24
It’s a no brainer…buy material, make my own.
isn't englander having their spring special right now a complete set is around 50 dollars or so
and its a complete set

isn't englander having their spring special right now a complete set is around 50 dollars or so
and its a complete set

Yes - See this link for the 25-PDVC Gasket Kit > http://www.englanderstoves.com/store/25-PDVC_Parts.html

EB-PU - Pellet Early Bird Gasket Kit
$87.62 $58.48 On Sale!
LIMITED Offer "Early Bird" Special for Pellet units.
NOTE: Offer ends soon, beat the fall price increases...
SAVE approx. $30 off Retail AND get Free Shipping on this part!
Includes AC-DGKC Door Gasket (includes silicone necessary to install); AC-GGK Window Gasket; PU-HLG Hopper Lid Gasket; PU-CBG Combustion Blower Gasket; PU-ABGN Auger Bearing Gaskets (set of 2); NOW Includes PU-BPG Burn Pot Gasket AND PU-CMG Combustion Motor Gasket!

NOTE: For all pellet units listed on this page except units manufactured prior to 2001. (For units manufactured prior to 2001, see "EB-PUPRE00").
Be sure to enter your stove's model number and date of manufacture in the "Ordering Instructions" box when you check out.
Shipping IS FREE, included in the price of this kit. Free shipping will apply automatically to this kit on this order.*
*Sorry, Free Shipping does not apply to Alaska or otherwise outside of the contiguous U.S. (48 States). We will contact you with a shipping cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.