Has anyone seen a stove like this before? your thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vandedav

Mar 5, 2009
Southern Indiana
hello all,

i have been lurking on the forum for a while, but this is my first post.

figured i would get it started by seeing if anyone has seen this stove before. my parents are using it in their old farmhouse and have been pretty happy with it. they do not burn 24/7, just whenever they want to feel the nice wood heat. i have done some general searches on the internet for "Valco" with no luck.

what can't be seen in this image is a second exhaust located at the back of the chamber on top of the stove. this exhaust is a 6" flue that is directly under the main flue exiting the top/rear of the second chamber. the knob on the second chamber allows you to close this flue off which directs the smoke towards the two smaller pipes at the front of the stove to snake back to the main flue.

Attachments

• valco_stove.jpg
    valco_stove.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,455
Nifty ole stove. I do get a current listing for a Valco Stove Co. Might be worth giving them a call:

Company: Valco Stove Corp
Address: 221 Industry Ave
Frankfort, IL 60423-1640 United States

Phone: 815-469-2345
Fax: 815-469-6401

PS: It looks like they may have received a patent for the design. The upper control is for introducing secondary air.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4192285.html

BG rules.

Kind of like a moose... so homely it's cute. Looks like it'll heat... how's the secondary burn in it? Much junk in the chimney?

vandedav said:
hello all,

i have been lurking on the forum for a while, but this is my first post.

figured i would get it started by seeing if anyone has seen this stove before. my parents are using it in their old farmhouse and have been pretty happy with it. they do not burn 24/7, just whenever they want to feel the nice wood heat. i have done some general searches on the internet for "Valco" with no luck.

what can't be seen in this image is a second exhaust located at the back of the chamber on top of the stove. this exhaust is a 6" flue that is directly under the main flue exiting the top/rear of the second chamber. the knob on the second chamber allows you to close this flue off which directs the smoke towards the two smaller pipes at the front of the stove to snake back to the main flue.

C3PO is looking for you R2!!! :eek:hh: ;-P :coolsmirk: OR....Danger, danger Will Robinson!!!

burntime said:
C3PO is looking for you R2!!! :eek:hh: ;-P :coolsmirk: OR....Danger, danger Will Robinson!!!

I keep looking at the picture expecting it to transform into "FIREMAN". ;-P

karri0n said:
BG rules.

yeah, 7 minutes after my post and he not only had contact information, but a patent app. thanks begreen.

leonmspt -- i am not sure about the secondary burn. my parents have been renting the house and living in it part time (they travel a lot). the prevoius year they just used the fireplace as is, then my dad found this stove in one of the outbuildings on the property. he cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of paint and has been using it off and on this winter whenever they are there. he has been real impressed with the amount of heat that it has given off. i haven't had much experience with it since the house is not near me (3 hour drive). since it has been a temporary install, i think my dad just ran the flue pipe up into the existing masonry chimney through a block off plate. so, it is really hard to say how the efficiency of the seconday burn has been.

what has really drawn me to this stove is the size of it. the front of the box is only about 14" x 16 " and is around 30" deep if i had to guess. my house is real small (~900 sqft), and space claim is a real issue. i would like to heat with wood, but i have not found a stove that would:

a. being that the house is so small and very well insulated, we do not go through much propane in a year (~ 300 gallons). so, any significant investment in a stove would take a long time to pay back with current usage of propane. i would really enjoy burning wood, but i also have to be practical with the pocket book.

b. because of the space claim issue with the house, most stoves would simply take up to much room.

this stove could be a decent option for us since i could probably get it for free, or close to it. also, being that it is so compact i could find a place for it much easier than most stoves on the market right now.

BeGreen said:
Nifty ole stove. I do get a current listing for a Valco Stove Co. Might be worth giving them a call:

PS: It looks like they may have received a patent for the design. The upper control is for introducing secondary air.

fwiw, i called that number. it was still active for an iron works company. the lady i talked to said that the valco stove corp was shut down and all their stock and product liquidated. i told her about the stove and she said that she did have a box full of old paperwork. she was going to look through it and see if she could find any valuable information for me. so, we will see.

vandedav said:
BeGreen said:

fwiw, i called that number. it was still active for an iron works company. the lady i talked to said that the valco stove corp was shut down and all their stock and product liquidated. i told her about the stove and she said that she did have a box full of old paperwork. she was going to look through it and see if she could find any valuable information for me. so, we will see.

Very decent of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.