has anyone used the Supervent Ceiling Support Kit, JSC6DCSK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slickschoppers

Dec 1, 2017
iowa
First, Sorry about so many questions, I just want to make sure I'm installing everything for my new wood burner safely and correctly.

I ordered the Supervent Ceiling support Kit (model JSC6DCSK) from Menards.

I will be installing it into a standard drywall ceiling with a height of 10', I will be 5' or more from any combustible material on the sides of the chimney all the way from the stove top to the ceiling support kit.

I'm just double / tripple checking.

but the single wall pipe says I ahve to have an 18" clearence from any combustible material, and the drywall ceiling is well.... considered combustible.

I spoke with a technician for the company that makes the kit and he said that I can run single wall directly into the connector. that the 18" clearence is only to the SIDES of the chimney, not directly above. He said that would be different if there was a horizontal pipe, but if i'm going straight up it should be within code and safe.

I also know that there is a metal cover with the kit, that goes over the pipe that is 17 5/8 that will sit directly below the drywall.

in the attic the kit contains a insulation protector that will keep all of my insulation away from the stove pipe, at this point it is double wall stainless insulated pipe. so I know the clearences become smaller than single wall pipe.

once I get into the attic I feel safe that my clearences are all good.

my main question, is the air gap around the chimney as it goes through the ceiling.

is there any kind of insulation that you can put inside the support box, or around the chimney to stop cold air from comming down into the house, or warm air from rising into the attic space?????

Selkirk makes an insulation that can be used inside either the attic insulation shield or a cathedral support box. The Part number JUSI

Reactions: Squisher