Have A Leak ( rain cap )

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
During the summer months I had covered this cap to see if it was the problem and it was. Blowing rain comes down inside pipe and runs down and drips on stove from the flex joint, any suggestions on a new cap, have looked them up online and they are expenseve, as all SS.

This cap came with the kit, anyone else ever had this problem? In winter months we burn 7/24s and it is not a problem, even when we are not burning it is very little water, like a couple of teaspoons full after a hard rain.

Attachments

• SDC10313.jpg
    SDC10313.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,141
  • SDC10315.jpg
    SDC10315.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,146
I don't have that type cap, sorry I can't help ya.

That is one advantage of having a chimney that is outside and not straight from the stove: water falls to the bottom of the T (if there's any).

Are you certain it's coming from the cap?

Andrew

Yes am sure, had it covered through 2 hurricans and no leaks while covered, hard blowing rain they may all leak who knows.

I will probably just cover it again after burning season, was looking online there are many kinds from $47.00 to $200.00. Unless someone says hay I had same problem and I did this.

cptoneleg, What brand is it. It looks exactly like my Selkirk. It hasn't leaked. I did have a few drips when I first installed it and had to tub seal the vertical joint in the SS pipe.

tfdchief said:
cptoneleg, What brand is it. It looks exactly like my Selkirk. It hasn't leaked. I did have a few drips when I first installed it and had to tub seal the vertical joint in the SS pipe.

Well cannot remember but will climb up and look sometimes semms like UHL but not sure LOWES , where purchased these are bands will take picture of everything.

tfdchief said:
Did it screw in the class A chimney a quarter turn ?

No- came in kit from Lowes all clamp, 99% sure blowing in which I think with my design I will just have to deal with it. Water just blows in runs down leakes out swivel its just a few drops or 10 or 12.

Had the same problem with mine, I have an offset such as yours and during a hard rain water would run down the outside of my stovepipe and drip to the floor. After some investigating I discovered my lead was coming from the area where the storm collar attaches to the chimney pipe. The caulking I had used during install earlier in the yr had not held up so after checking on this forum I went and purchased the correct caulk, silicon 2. No leaks since then, also you may want to check where the rain cap connects to the chimney pipe, just a thought, good luck.

I had a similar, very slight leak, during Irene; just a few drips, probably from wind driven rain. My roof is 12 in 12 metal with no easy access to the cap. I'm thinking of trying the bath towel effect. Wrap some non combustible but wicking ( stove gasket rope perhaps?) material around the pipe in the attic, maybe in a spiral with a little tail leading to a bucket. Let that soak up the water and evaporate it slowly, or lead it to said bucket. Save recaulking for another day.

Ehouse

tfdchief said:
The chimney in my last house had the same problem, it seemed to only do it when there was blowing rain. I caulked the vertical joints and it never happened again. And yes, it is Selkirk Super-vent pipe.

Last Summer I re-lined my boiler flue and now I get leaks. Doesn't make sense when it never even had a cap on it before, but after a year of seeing little puddles on the floor I've come to the conclusion its during heavy rain that is blowing into the liner running down and leaking out the bottom of the tee.

btuser said:
Last Summer I re-lined my boiler flue and now I get leaks. Doesn't make sense when it never even had a cap on it before, but after a year of seeing little puddles on the floor I've come to the conclusion its during heavy rain that is blowing into the liner running down and leaking out the bottom of the tee.
I'd say it leaked before, it just soaked up in the masonry. Are you sure it's sealed good at the top?

cptoneleg said:
tfdchief said:
Did it screw in the class A chimney a quarter turn ?

No- came in kit from Lowes all clamp, 99% sure blowing in which I think with my design I will just have to deal with it. Water just blows in runs down leakes out swivel its just a few drops or 10 or 12.
OK, it is not the same as mine then. Mine 1/4 turn screws in to the top section just like the sections screw together. If it clamps on then it probably goes over the top of the last section and therefore is not likely leaking at the connection. It must just be rain driven sideways into the chimney top, which any of them can do. I would continue to try to rule everything else out though. Just me.

If it came from Lowe's, it is the same flue. I'd put money on it :)

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about a similarprob with my selkirk pipe leaking during driving/blowing rains.
I think that my leak happens when the rain blows sideways and splashes or gets up the boot some and under that very small rain collar and into the cutout vents that go all around the class a pipe which are under the collar. Rain does not appear on class a pipe in attic, but comes down from above and coming out my double wall pipe in the house.

sappy said:
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about a similarprob with my selkirk pipe leaking during driving/blowing rains.
I think that my leak happens when the rain blows sideways and splashes or gets up the boot some and under that very small rain collar and into the cutout vents that go all around the class a pipe which are under the collar. Rain does not appear on class a pipe in attic, but comes down from above and coming out my double wall pipe in the house.
That's what I thought too, but I caulked the seams in the pipe and I never had another problem.

I will get up there and look again, but am nearly postive it is blowing in around the cap and running down inside of pipe, but I will go up there with some caulk.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.