Have I told you how much I hate stacking wood?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
We've had quite a bit of rain here the last few days and as I was walking around the back of the house this morning, look what greeted me.

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

I was actually afraid they might fall the other way as they had developed a bit of a lean in that direction so have no idea how they fell the way they did. Of course, if I had an idea, maybe they wouldn't have fallen over.

I sure wish I would've committed to the Fireview sooner so I would've cut all this 16". I hate short wood.

some of those stacks look like my piles! lol I just never can see myself stacking

Thats because you have too much wood. Bring some south and Ill show you how to stack it at my house..lol

Ja, soil softened by rain can do that. If you lay down long poles on the ground in a criss-cross, it will make them much more stable. Before my shed, when I was stacking outdoors on the dirt, I would go out back and cut a bunch of Poplar poles to make a base with. I would also salt in some long poles on the row ends to tie the rows together.

I feel your pain.

This is the first year that I have not had to restack piles 2 or 3 times. I finally stopped at 5.5 feet tall. I also use pallets and fence posts every 8 feet. Of course I have a pellet gun for the chipmunks that like to play on the stacks :p I stack on pallets and contemplate putting a pallet between the 2 rows to help stabilize. Not everyone can stack with the precision of the infamous woodbutcher :p I do split a big pile and usually leave it sit for 3 weeks now before I stack. May be in my head but it seams to get alot of the shrinking out of the way so that the pile is not shifting as much. Then again I could just be lucky this year... Good luck! Before long you will get better at it! :)

I found a solution to this. I stack all the wood in nice neat stacks. Then I take a running leap and knock all the wood over and re-stack the wood. I figure if the stack is going to collapse I might as well get it out of the way early.

And people wonder why I use the poly rope through the stack and angle iron uprights on the end...

I got tired of picking that stuff up for a second time. I have to admit though that one popped last year. The only one in ten years.

Dang it Wendell, keep it up and I'll have to come over there across the pond and show you how to stack wood.

btw, I don't like to stack over 4' high and I don't cheat by using t-posts, pallets or rope. lol

I have always wondered how people can stack wood so high!! I only stack to 5' or so and don't have them fall over so much now that my wife makes then end stacks to hold them up.

when I cut my wood I lay 2 rows of the cuts down and stack ontop of them. I stacked 16 cords this past January and it is all in the pile still.

Attachments

• Picture 003r.jpg
    Picture 003r.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 1,004
done stacking this year

wood001-5.jpg

wood002-6.jpg

It's all about 'sperenice!

If you stack wood long enough. A pile falls over, not enuf 'sperenice!

Never picked up a pile that was stacked, from the get.

Do it once, do it right.

Or else Dennis, ( AKA backwoods savage ) will have to come over and open a can of wood ass on you all.

KC

FYI my stacks run 5 - 6.5 high.

It'll season just fine the way it is. :) I have one stack that's leaning pretty good, I'm considering knocking it down so I can at least have fun knocking it over and then re-stack it. lol

Jamess67 said:
Thats because you have too much wood. Bring some south and Ill show you how to stack it at my house..lol
I'll share!!!!!

BrotherBart said:
And people wonder why I use the poly rope through the stack and angle iron uprights on the end...

I got tired of picking that stuff up for a second time. I have to admit though that one popped last year. The only one in ten years.

I'm sure you noticed that the stacks done your way are still standing. I just cheaped out (and wasn't sure I wanted to drive that many more T posts into my yard) and thought I would get by with just crisscrossing the ends of the next 3 rows. Wish I would've bought more T posts.

It's not getting burned until 2011/12. i guess I got time to figure it out.

I know the tune to that dreadful dirge of a crashed woodpile wendell...
3138780316_c981d6ea8b.jpg

Now we just pile the wood on top on a gravel pad...no more crash downs and lots of labor saved.

I use landscape timber on the base, and then 2x3's on the ends for uprights. I have one row right now with the 2x3 just about ready to give way. I am waiting till it all comes crashing down because I need to move the wood closer to my house anyways.

nocdpc said:
when I cut my wood I lay 2 rows of the cuts down and stack ontop of them. I stacked 16 cords this past January and it is all in the pile still.

Wow! That's not a pile...that's a house foundation! Nice work.

savageactor7 said:

Now we just pile the wood on top on a gravel pad...no more crash downs and lots of labor saved.

That is one good looking heap.

wendell said:
BrotherBart said:

I'm sure you noticed that the stacks done your way are still standing. I just cheaped out (and wasn't sure I wanted to drive that many more T posts into my yard) and thought I would get by with just crisscrossing the ends of the next 3 rows. Wish I would've bought more T posts.

It's not getting burned until 2011/12. i guess I got time to figure it out.

If you use the poly rope then the T posts only have to be two or three inches into the ground. Not driven in where it takes a crane to pull them out later.

Wendell, the base of your stack looks like it is about 1/4 of the height. I don't think you would have any trouble if it was 1/2 to 2/3 the height. Try running your splits all the way across the pallet without leaving gaps in between them. It may not get as much air flow but if you are 2 years ahead I don't think that will be a problem. You will also be able to get more wood in less space and stack it much quicker. I have never had any problems doing it this way but I admit that I don't have the experience that most of you guys do so if there is a downside to this method let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_3549.JPG
    IMG_3549.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 581
SolarAndWood said:
savageactor7 said:

That is one good looking heap.
this is is sweeeet!

Holtz Heapen!!!

I am green with envy!

savageactor7 said:

I got BOTA envy!!! I keep axin Santa for one... Maybe one of these years!
Nice pile too!

Status
Not open for further replies.