Have oil/forced air, want to supplement with a pellet stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky88

Jul 26, 2015
Jaffrey, NH
Hey All: I know there's another post about this subject, but my situation has a twist. I live in a single story home and would like to put my PS in the basement (stairs to the main level are not blocked at all) - would anyone know if I might have issues installing a stove in my basement, in NH? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greetings. Should be ok as long as the basement is well insulated. Otherwise almost a third of the heat may be lost to the outside. Would the PS be mostly just to heat the basement? If upstairs too, how close can the stove be to the stairway and how large is the basement?

Greetings. Should be ok as long as the basement is well insulated. Otherwise almost a third of the heat may be lost to the outside. Would the PS be mostly just to heat the basement? If upstairs too, how close can the stove be to the stairway and how large is the basement?
I'll get some measurements for you in the next day or 2. The basement is essentially open, (the length and width of the house) and the stairway is flush against the right exterior wall of the house. There is a cinder block chimney in the center of the basement, allowing exhaust for the oil/forced hot air burner. Hope this info helps. I'll followup asap with dimensions. No more than 900 sf of living space upstairs.

Is the basement insulated? Do you want to just heat the basement or upstairs too?

They make pellet furnaces for forced air basement installations. If you don't already have the stove, it might be worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.