Hazelnut shells for fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Hello

New here but not new to pellet/biomass fuel stoves.

Been burning Hazelnut shells for over 20 years now in my pellet stoves.

Started off with an Earthstove traditions and then when I built a new home in 93 purchased a slightly used WP50 Earthstove.

The practice of burning the shells is not without issues though. The material has a lot of "Unburnables in it and leaves a lot more flyash than mopst fols are used to.

The beauty is that it is a waste product from a yearly crop and is fully renewable.

The stoves require tending twice daily and usually just before bed time I will remove any "Clinker" from the pot and then its good to go again for the night.

Recently purchased a cute little Whitfield Prodigy used from an ad on craigs list.

Perfect little stove that heats the house great during the warmer weather 45F and up.

Currently I have 3 stoves in 2300 sq ft home (Ranch style)

The WP50, a Quadrafire 1000 and the Whitfield Prodigy.

Looking to replace the WP 50 with another Prodigy as the Old WP 50 is getting tired now and needing new feed moors and other things (20 years old) plus being run 24 hrs a day for during the winter for the last 16 years.

I will try to offer help to others as time goes by. Been at this pellet stove thing a long time..

Snowy R

Status
Not open for further replies.