HD 6401's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Been hunting for one...found one but it got snapped up about an hour ago.

I found two that will be available maybe later this week, the guy there says they're both waiting for parts from Makita...should the fact that they're waiting on a new cylinder head or other random unknown part dissuade me from considering them or should I roll the dice that they fixed them up right and grab one when its there?

My current saw is dead and we're getting into prime cutting time so I need to find the right saw soon, the 6401 is very much the right saw for my needs.

No matter what, they're 1.5-2 hrs drive for me (one way), but I may have friends or relatives nearby that can go grab it for me and then I'll give them a check.

Thoughts?

I dont think the boys at home depot would be waiting on any jug and slug items. It will be a very simple part they are replacing....Just a guess!

He said one was waiting for a cylinder head and he didn't know what the other one was waiting on, but they're both off the shelf right now and if I check back at the end of the week they might be ready by then.

I was kind of surprised that they might be swapping out essentially most of the motor too. Wonder if the heads always ship with a new piston and rings too? If the guy outs it together properly that might be a great saw...essentially a whole new top end.

mayhem said:
He said one was waiting for a cylinder head and he didn't know what the other one was waiting on, but they're both off the shelf right now and if I check back at the end of the week they might be ready by then.

I was kind of surprised that they might be swapping out essentially most of the motor too. Wonder if the heads always ship with a new piston and rings too? If the guy outs it together properly that might be a great saw...essentially a whole new top end.

Cant believe they even have a guy that good on board. Seems to me they would sell as a parts saw. If there putting a new head you can bet at-least new rings piston may be ok. (Pretty cool they have someone on board like that) Sounds like a stright gaser..lol

smokinjay said:
Cant believe they even have a guy that good on board. Seems to me they would sell as a parts saw. If there putting a new head you can bet at-least new rings piston may be ok. (Pretty cool they have someone on board like that) Sounds like a stright gaser..lol

+1

I'm surprised, too.

No chance to take it as-is and do the work yourself? I'd be all over that-

moosetrek said:
No chance to take it as-is and do the work yourself? I'd be all over that-

LOL I was thinking that....BB Guys dream there.

Bailey's still have 'em for a good deal?

S

thinkxingu said:

S

I think there around 100

thinkxingu said:

S

Price went up since Christmas, and the 6401 had been replaced with the 6421 (same saw except it has a CAT muffler).

Price also went up on the 84cc BB kit and 79cc OEM kit.

Bummer on the price increase. When (not if) I bump up, I'm going for the 7900 kit. BTW- check out -www.toolking.com , but you'll have to call to see what's in stock, they don't list them. My 6401 was $379, w/ warranty, looks almost brand new. A huge shout out to "Jutt77", he found it and kept sending me pictures until I gave in. Thannks again J.

Status
Not open for further replies.