HD Lowest price in 3 yrs.!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Compared to the last couple of years where everyone was getting $6+ a bag, some up to $8.75 or so, $5.18 isn't bad for a bag of pellets. But it's the same price as HD now and you don't want to buy those, so how is this victory ? Not that I'm nit picking , just curious.
"I can taste..." I said, not that I'm nit picking I've been in a one man fight up in my parts against paying these horrendous prices on pellets and I can see the end is near. Lowes raises their prices to $299 a ton. It backfires and they bring it down to where HD was all along. HD keeps their green supreme garbage at $259 hoping they will capitalize. It didn't work. Now what?! $259 is the price for both stores. Who will make a move? I mean as in a national price adjustment, not the local quick deals we've been seeing.

"I can taste..." I said, not that I'm nit picking I've been in a one man fight up in my parts against paying these horrendous prices on pellets and I can see the end is near. Lowes raises their prices to $299 a ton. It backfires and they bring it down to where HD was all along. HD keeps their green supreme garbage at $259 hoping they will capitalize. It didn't work. Now what?! $259 is the price for both stores. Who will make a move? I mean as in a national price adjustment, not the local quick deals we've been seeing.
I don't know if there is a national pricing market on these things really. Thing is around here HD has moved quite a lot of pellets at $5.18. TSC has them at $5.39 and can hardly sell a bag and they are better pellets. Or at least hotter with a little bit less ash. So maybe here in this neck of the woods $5.18 is it, what the market will bear. Can't speak for your area LOL !

I don't know if there is a national pricing market on these things really. Thing is around here HD has moved quite a lot of pellets at $5.18. TSC has them at $5.39 and can hardly sell a bag and they are better pellets. Or at least hotter with a little bit less ash. So maybe here in this neck of the woods $5.18 is it, what the market will bear. Can't speak for your area LOL !

The Cape is indeed it's own market. I've got a friend that is in the end stages of a purchase of property in the Mashpee area today...1/10th of an acre, 700 sq ft 3 season cottage. Not quite $440K. Scary.

I'm surprised they aren't a bit higher on the Cape. What do pellets sell for on MV or Nantucket?

Chows have been 5.18 all Winter (here), they just have never sold more than individual bags.

Weird though, the Chows they keep inside and the rest outside in the garden dept , skid open for single bags and four to six tons on the sidewalk , the rest behind the store.
I always figured they kept the chows inside because they swell up like balloons in the humidity. :)

The Cape is indeed it's own market. I've got a friend that is in the end stages of a purchase of property in the Mashpee area today...1/10th of an acre, 700 sq ft 3 season cottage. Not quite $440K. Scary.

I'm surprised they aren't a bit higher on the Cape. What do pellets sell for on MV or Nantucket?
Don't know what they are going for on the Vineyard but I can tell you this, the floor guy at the Wareham HD told me a guy from the Vineyard comes in regularly and buys 10 tons at a time. Now I would assume he is selling them on the Vineyard since I doubt he could burn that many himself and you just know he can't do it for $5.18 a bag.

We go off Cape to Plymouth and Wareham to buy things generally speaking or even further inland. But some things have come down here with BBS's coming in. Funny thing, prices at McDonalds are cheaper here than up in Plymouth or over Norwood way. You just never know.

Don't know what they are going for on the Vineyard but I can tell you this, the floor guy at the Wareham HD told me a guy from the Vineyard comes in regularly and buys 10 tons at a time. Now I would assume he is selling them on the Vineyard since I doubt he could burn that many himself and you just know he can't do it for $5.18 a bag.

We go off Cape to Plymouth and Wareham to buy things generally speaking or even further inland. But some things have come down here with BBS's coming in. Funny thing, prices at McDonalds are cheaper here than up in Plymouth or over Norwood way. You just never know.

Well, there is your answer. Eat more often at McDonalds and you won't need any pellets because you'll stay warm naturally due to the layer of blubber you will acquire.

Reactions: Cory S
Well, there is your answer. Eat more often at McDonalds and you won't need any pellets because you'll stay warm naturally due to the layer of blubber you will acquire.
I was thinking that maybe you could burn McDonald's hamburgers...gotta be high in BTUs.

Reactions: mustangwagz
Thing is I have a gluten allergy and I've found McDonald's Oatmeal, Yogurt parfait, Orange juice and Coffee to be something I can eat on the road and it will be consistently so coast to coast or town to town, state to state etc.. Their salads are safe too, just nix any croutons etc., the chicken has to be grilled , no crispy coatings allowed. I can eat Wendy's chili and their salads. So that is two options without getting off the road and going and seeking out cooking facilities or restaurants that actually care if you get whacked with gluten or not. So yah, feel free to burn the burgers in your stoves !! LOL. Or get fat for that matter, I can't eat like that.

Along with the gluten allergy came no alcohol fwiw.. I go into almost a state like shock, freezing freezing cold and can't get air.

Last edited:
Thing is I have a gluten allergy and I've found McDonald's Oatmeal, Yogurt parfait, Orange juice and Coffee to be something I can eat on the road and it will be consistently so coast to coast or town to town, state to state etc.. Their salads are safe too, just nix any croutons etc., the chicken has to be grilled , no crispy coatings allowed. I can eat Wendy's chili and their salads. So that is two options without getting off the road and going and seeking out cooking facilities or restaurants that actually care if you get whacked with gluten or not. So yah, feel free to burn the burgers in your stoves !! LOL. Or get fat for that matter, I can't eat like that.

Along with the gluten allergy came no alcohol fwiw.. I go into almost a state like shock, freezing freezing cold and can't get air.

Ack. Gluten free?

You may appreciate this:

http://sobadsogood.com/2015/11/11/behold-what-art-looks-after-its-been-made-gluten-free/

Just a heads up about Lowe's and pellets-which might be similar with HD. They get 2-4 brands of pellets at my store (in southern Maryland) but you can't get a code for a specific brand of pellets. They are all "coded" with the same bar code. I always go in and specifically ask for the ones I want (the best they carry for my budget is Pres to Logs (which burn no different and look no different than Lignetics green label).

SO, that might be why you can't get more info from HD about their pellets-they are all the same to them.

The supply at my local HD(Greenfield, ma) dropped drastically over the weekend. Saturday there was at least 90 tons out front, today it was down to 30 tons. I dont know if they just moved them around back or got rid of them. Price is still the same at 259.00

Central MA Home Depot they're at $5.18

Stove Chow
Model # Stove Chow
Internet # 205700777
Store SKU # 623182

Premium Wood Pellet Fuel 40 lb. Bag

Same price here.

bob

That's comforting to know that i cant overload my garage slab. I did a little digging around it a few years ago to install drains for the gutter and it did appear to be 5 or 6 inches. It does have some cracks but those appear to be from not having expansion joints.
So, that being said, as soon as the pellet prices come down i'm getting several years worth.

I know my basement block walls have no rebar. I learned the hard way during hurricane irene. the basement wall blew in. luckily it wasnt load bearing. The new wall has rebar! in every course! i wish the other 3 walls had it.

I have higher hopes for the garage floor having rebar since the garage was an add on many year later by different owners.

Reactions: bogieb
Nothing to worry about. Concrete is going to crack. Control joints are there to promote the crack to happen there. No control joint it will crack where it finds an opportunity. The joints usually encourage that.

Generally speaking all flat work is usually 4,000 PSI whereas footing, piers, and poured walls are usually 3,000 PSI. Some concrete in old home's basements are not very thick and more of a mud cap depending. Any crete poured in the last numerous decades is usually pretty tough if it was done correctly.

Back on scope now. I hope many places are sitting on big lots of pellets come March or even mid Feb. There might be some good deals to be had. Junky pellets would have too real cheap though just to mix in or straight up mild weather cheap heat.

Nothing to worry about. Concrete is going to crack. Control joints are there to promote the crack to happen there. No control joint it will crack where it finds an opportunity. The joints usually encourage that.

Unfortunately I have heaves at the crack too. Also have an area in the basement that is the same. Naturally, it all lets in moisture when the water table is high (a lot of the summer since I am sitting on fill in what apparently used to be a swamp - as it is next door). Think my concrete is basically a mud cap.

I'm not hefting multi tons down into the basement anyway, and then back up again to the stove. And my basement is about as humid as an Aug evening ( and that's without a pipe bursting like I had recently, stupid little plastic line to the ice maker pretty much wrecked my wood lathe chuck I'll tell ya) so they might just as well be outdoors under a tarp with some air space as to be down there, better off.

Home depot farmingdale by 3.98 a bag of fireside picked up a few Will see how they burn
That's great ! They're still $5.18 here but we picked up a few too and they are burning just fine, plenty hot.

They're down in Ohio too. I picked up 10 bags of chow last night in Lewis Center. 3.98 plopped in my pickup vs. having to go load up my 4.50 somersets at the farm. Thank you HD for catering to my laziness

Still $259 in seacoast NH which is the same price I paid in early fall when I got my stash for the year. Prices have not dropped at all here. Even the local Walmart was selling their garbage Pennington for $275 a ton.

Still $259 in seacoast NH which is the same price I paid in early fall when I got my stash for the year. Prices have not dropped at all here. Even the local Walmart was selling their garbage Pennington for $275 a ton.
Seems that way across New England really. The only saving grace is when I drive by HD they have pellets and whether I buy by the bag or a ton the price per bag is the same. So rather than drag my trailer around, I just pick up a few bags at will and toss them in the car.. They can store them !

Status
Not open for further replies.