Hearth Clearances Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuadSantaFe

Sep 22, 2013
Hi everybody,
I'll be receiving my Quadrafire Santa Fe stove next weekend and I could use some help interpreting the clearances required to the walls and the size of the hearth needed.

My goal was to place it in a corner of the room facing out. The manual says there needs to be 2" of clearance to the rear corners of the stove from the walls. This would be nice because it wouldn't need to extend out into the room very far. But if you look at the hearth specs in the same manual it says it needs 6" on the sides and front, and 2" in the back. This would not allow me to place the stove as close as 2" to the walls for the rear corners...instead it would be 6"....am I reading this correctly?

here is the online manual for this stove so you can see what I'm reading: http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/7050_128.pdf

Thanks in advance for the help!
-DB

The instructions are misleading, & if you install it on a corner hearth pad with the 2" clearance to the walls met, you should be fine. Unfortunately, I'm not your building inspector & he may not agree. If you're not having it inspected, you should be good to go. You might want to bring this confusing info to your dealer, tho. Maybe someone there can get something in writing from Hearth and Home Technologies...Just in case...

If you have it at two inches off the corners you should have no issues gaining the needed six off the side just remember you need six off the glass as well.

Thanks for the reply Bob. I will be having the local FD inspect (city requirement). I will be contacting the dealer as well as the manufacturer for answers too.

Anyone else out there with this model and dealt with this question already? Looking at the online manuals for their other pellet stoves they all have 2" side hearth requirements....I'm wondering if the Santa fe manual has a mistake/typo???

If you have it at two inches off the corners you should have no issues gaining the needed six off the side just remember you need six off the glass as well.

How is that possible on the sides towards the back of the stove? The closer you get to the back corner the narrower it would become? Maybe I'm over-thinking this :) I read it as 6" till you get to the back corners.....but now I'm wondering if that was a mistake...

Even though it says it can be 2 inches from the wall on the corners I don't recommend it. Not because of combustibles or heat clearances but for practicality. My Santa Fe is 6 inches from the walls with a corner installation and I find that it is the bare minimum to make it reasonable for general use and maintenance. This unit gives off almost no heat on the sides/rear, the front realistically is the only safety concern. Just remember that you will need to work in and around it from time to time so take that into consideration.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.