1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hearth Construction Pics

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by brian_in_idaho, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian_in_idaho

brian_in_idaho New Member

Loc:
    Jewel Lake (Sagle), Idaho
    I must be a bit deranged, I have been building my own house in my spare time...for the last 3 years now. Anyway, I recently started working on my hearth. Sheetrock is in and painted, I am getting the hearth ready for cultured stone. I figured I'd put in some pics if anyone was interested.

First pic is the area where the stove will go, showing the framing. I didn't realize the pics aren't at a good angle, the stove will be against a 1/2 wall seperating the living room and dining area. The stove will be on the ledge on the right, the TV/entertainment center to the left of the perpendicular wall.

OK, can't get the pic to post!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    To post pics, just click on the browse button then find the picture. You are limited on size, so you may have to make a couple posts depending on your file sizes. There's more info in the Picture Gallery forum on posting pics.
  3. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    Once more

Attached Files:

4. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    OK, I had to play with the pixel count and save to a smaller size, picture quality is bad. And I have dialup... I'll burn these to a USB fob and play with them some more at work. Heres one more try. This is as far as I got tonight, ran out of ledgerstone rock, the rest should be here Thursday.

A quick summary, I built the walls with steel studs, the deck is plywood, wonderboard over the deck and on the walls. Metal lath is added to mount the stone. I cut vents into the left side and back wall (register cover on the "cold" side and a metal soffit vent on the sides towards the stove). I hope to get some better pics up to show the progression, sorry about the lack of quality. Keep in mind, I'm not saying this is the right way to do things, I'm just showing what I did. A stone mason would tell you all I'm doing wrong.

Bri

Attached Files:

5. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Nice! It's like a grown-ups LEGO set :)
  6. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    OK, I should mention that I could never decide if I preferred to watch a good movie, or the fire. At my last place the layout had the stove and TV on opposite sides of the room. FIgured I'd put them both together this time...if the wife has a chick flick on, I can just watch the flames!

Also, the waterproofing (roofing felt) is only applied to the low area, below the hearth on the vertical surfaces, which was drywalled; it is not on the CBB on the sides/walls. I don't see why the morter wouldn't bond just fine to the CBB (probably better). The Cultured Stone directions say put down the moisture barrier, seems like a really bad idea here, due to the heat involved.

Bri
  7. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    i think that is gonna look so sharp once the stove is installed. Thumbs up from me!
  8. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    Looks great keep up with the pics.
  9. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    OK, lets try this some more. This is a pic of the framing, showing the steel studs and support for the hearth.

Attached Files:

10. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    Back side view, showing the vent (register cover). Messy work area, I try not to let things get this bad.

Attached Files:

11. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    Deck (plywood) is on. I cut a steel stud to give me an angle bracket to attach the bottom of the Wonderboard to.

Attached Files:

12. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    What happens when you get carried away using a tile scoring tool to score wonderboard (top). The scoring tool is a little carbide "wedge". Lower pic is redneck engineering approach to keep the job moving....

Attached Files:

13. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    Wonderboard is up and lath is on. Vent is installed on the back wall.

Attached Files:

14. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    Got-r-pretty-well-done totay, here are some pics, pad on.

Attached Files:

15. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    My aching back....

Attached Files:

16. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    Final product...sort of. I need to "cap" the wall, but haven't decided what I want to do. I'll get the stove in and finalize this. I'd like to do a split log top, but I think my clearance will be tight for that.

Attached Files:

17. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    Taking a break and having a beer while I post pics, I need to go clean up the mess. All-in-all, not a hard job. Stone cost was right around $500, with a bit left over. About another $100 or so in CBB, lath, morter, screws, etc. Time to complete, maybe 20 hours, not counting the drywall.

Attached Files:

18. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Nice job, What kind of stove did you go with. You have a good central location, the stove should heat the whole area well.
  19. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    Looks GREAT. Coming along nicely.
  20. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

The workmanship looks great. I like how you took the time to come up with the placement arrangements.
  21. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Wow, that looks like alot of work. Good job! you should be well into a 6 pack by now...
  22. brian_in_idaho

Loc:
    Thanks for the kind words guys, coming from you guys that do this stuff for a living and have your own setups it means alot.

The stove will be a Hearthstone Mansfield, I'll have it delivered next week. I have to check on what my dealer gets for delivery and install. I could probably do it myself, I think the tractor and pallet forks will get it up on the deck fine, then roll it on abs pipe to the hearth and walk it up planks. I can get my buddy to help, but the beer may cost more than professional installation. Besides...this old back is complaining already. And if the pro's break something, it ain't my problem.

MSG, you are right about the beers, took a couple to the hot tub when I got done.

Bri
  23. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    make shure you dont put any pressure on the ash pan, it could crack the ash pan door frame. Its fragile. And as far as beer goes, i have had my fair share tonite. A local brewery makes a brew called "hazed and infused" it seemed approiate with the week that i had.
  24. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Beautiful work. It's a great feeling to see this coming together after all the work you've put in to get it ready. Hope you cleaned up before the beers (just kidding).
  25. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    Brian,

Your hearth setup looks great. good planning.

Moving that mansfield is a bear, even in an area with good access...We had a john deere loader to grab it out of the pickup setting in garage, placed it on a wheel dolly in the garage by hand and had to then get down two steps (built little ramp) and then into the room where she works..We were fortunate it went well, but that is heavy ?%#$* 590 lbs.. We love every ounce!

GOOD Luck
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.