Hearth Heaters- Do they work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They help get more heat out of the fireplace but DO NOT make it efficient - like a stove.

Before I got our insert (Avalon 1190 Insert) I used one of these:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/item/5TH-TR-22/24-Cozy-Grate-Fireplace-Heater-Right-Hand-Motor

I used some glass doors. The max temps were about a 40 degrees spread (from inside to outside). With a HUGE fire, it would heat the house (1200 sq) up to 35 degrees. It used a LOT of wood. I had would add wood about every half hour. Now I use about 20 % of the wood and it works great for hours with one load and the insert keeps the whole house toasty. If all you want to look at a fire it is fine, but we use it 24/7 now.

I have it for sale and I still have the box for $250.00 but you must pay the shipping.

Robert

They help. If you want to keep the open fireplace ambiance and want to shoot a little more heat into the room, why not. If you want to take the next step look at a product called a grate heater with a decent set of glass doors. I know it hurts, but you may want to visit a hearth shop to find out more about these.

Franks said:
They help. If you want to keep the open fireplace ambiance and want to shoot a little more heat into the room, why not. If you want to take the next step look at a product called a grate heater with a decent set of glass doors. I know it hurts, but you may want to visit a hearth shop to find out more about these.
we had a grate heater when i was a kid in our finsihed basement. that fan put some heat out for sure. and it allows you to keep the doors closed so you can get a little bit longer burn. but not great. definaly get good heat though. i think with new doors and the blower it was likek 500 or 600 but i was young dont remember.

MDfireguy said:
Anyone know if these things work....I was curious for my upstairs fireplace?

http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/hearth-heaters.asp

Your question: "Do they work?"

Well........... they do get more heat out of your fireplace if that's what you are looking for. You are still left with a highly inefficient wood burning appliance (the fireplace). I think I read somewhere that a fireplace is 10% effecient. Maybe this item would get you up to 15%.

To be honest, yes, I've used one (it was given to me)- for about 3 months, then I bought my Oslo.

Thanks for the replys. I have an FPX in my basement which works great. Upstairs I have a cheapo "Demarco" fireplace that I use to warm the room when I am in there. It puts out decent heat although I know it is very inefficient. I was just wondering if it was worth the $400 or $500 bucks to purchase this add on to try and get some more heat out of it. Replacing it at this point is not an option although some day I will add another stove in it's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.