HEARTH PAD SIZE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BXTF

Aug 30, 2008
Rock Tavern, New York
I am having a Jotul Castine installed by the dealer. I am doing a corner install and put up a non combustible wall so I can have the stove installed as close to the wall as I can get it. Space is a big factor.

Now for my question, what is the smallest size hearth pad I can go with? The dealer first told me I could go with a 48X48 inch pad now he tells me I will need a 54X54 inch pad. Both pads seem like over kill especially the 54X54inch one. The hearth pad is made by American Panel.

Thanking everyone in advance, from reading the post on this site I know there will be a lot of good information coming my way.

It depends on the stove installation. We had a 54" corner pad installed for our Castine. There was a little extra space, but not a lot with the rear exit flue. Your dealer is probably trying to go with the safest installation. Usually that is a very good plan.

BeGreen said:
It depends on the stove installation. We had a 54" corner pad installed for our Castine. There was a little extra space, but not a lot with the rear exit flue. Your dealer is probably trying to go with the safest installation. Usually that is a very good plan.

They are probably selling you the 54" pad because that's what they have that exceeds the manufactures requirements for coverage. If you make your own you can build it with in the minimum size and it might fit your house better. Each stove has a different requirement for hearth pad size and the pre-fab hearth pads only come in a few different sizes. In order to get one that fits your stove you usually have to get one that is way to big.

It's like Begreen said, it depends on the installation. The best thing to do is read your manuel that comes with the stove.

They don't have spec for a corner install hearth board. The clearances to a protected surface are side 8", rear 7" and corners 6". This is why I can't seem to get the size of the hearth board. I would like to put the stove as close as I can into the corner, but if the hearth board is going to be that big then whats the point.

The point is both safety and practicality. The location of the ceiling joists where the ceiling support box is attached determined the final location of our stove, not the hearth pad. I was fine with the few extra inches above the minimum clearances. I think you will be too when the stove is cranking at 650+ degrees. The Castine can really cook when pushed.

Begreen, thank you for your input and yes safety is my main concern. The stove is secluded to be put in this Friday I'm thinking about putting it off for a few weeks and re thinking all of my options, we want to get it right the first time, and not be disappointed.

What do you think about the Jotul F3? (thinking about starting a new topic Jotul F3 vs Castine) We had looked at this stove but thought it would be to small. The area we will be heating is about 1200 sq. ft. ranch. The temps during the winter get down to the single digit's at night and the high teens low 20's during the day.

Again, thanks for all the help.

If the floor protection requirement is modest for that stove, then it's really not a terribly difficult thing to fabricate your own hearth pad to the dimensions you choose (provided it extends out the required distance on all sides). This would free you from struggling with the constraints imposed by the few available commercially produced pads. Rick

Mr Crabs said:
Begreen, thank you for your input and yes safety is my main concern. The stove is secluded to be put in this Friday I'm thinking about putting it off for a few weeks and re thinking all of my options, we want to get it right the first time, and not be disappointed.

What do you think about the Jotul F3? (thinking about starting a new topic Jotul F3 vs Castine) We had looked at this stove but thought it would be to small. The area we will be heating is about 1200 sq. ft. ranch. The temps during the winter get down to the single digit's at night and the high teens low 20's during the day.

Again, thanks for all the help.

I've owned both. The F3CB is a great little stove with a small firebox. It can put out good heat, but only if you feed it frequently. In the dead of winter here, that meant every few hours. And you are in a colder climate. 20 degree temps are rare here. If the intent is to heat, you'll be much happier with the F400.

Can you post some pictures of the proposed stove location? A custom hearth may be an option, but ultimately it's going to be a combo of honoring clearances AND the location of the ceiling support box. The installer is going to have to work within these constraints regardless of the the stove.

BeGreen said:
...ultimately it's going to be a combo of honoring clearances AND the location of the ceiling support box. The installer is going to have to work within these constraints regardless of the the stove.

And dat's de truth. Rick

Thanks to everyone. I plan on slowing things down a bit, sitting down with the dealer and doing whats safest.

As far as sending pictures I would have to wait for the kids to come home from college as my computer skills are limited to search and peck. Just accessing this forum is impressing the heck out of my wife.

Mr Crabs said:
...Just accessing this forum is impressing the heck out of my wife.

Well, then, by all means...keep posting! :lol: Be careful, though...my wife, no doubt, would rather I spent a bit less time accessing this forum (not to mention some of the forum members). %-P Rick

fossil said:
Mr Crabs said:
...Just accessing this forum is impressing the heck out of my wife.

Well, then, by all means...keep posting! :lol: Be careful, though...my wife, no doubt, would rather I spent a bit less time accessing this forum (not to mention some of the forum members). %-P Rick

Oh come on we're not that bad are we? :lol:

As for the pad question we built our own raised hearth pad and it turned out great! I was concerned about taking up to much room, but after it was all done it looks just fine, and we like having the extra clearances. Our little Tribute really throws the heat better then I thought it would, and I'm glad we allowed more room than required.

Status
Not open for further replies.