hearth question on napolean NPI40 pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arcane

Jan 9, 2009
nh
A friend had a custom fire place built around this unit. He observed all the clearances.
The stove can be zero clearance
therre is little room for adjustment. This is really a fake fireplace surround
We were discussin R values because I just finished an extension to my split hearth for a wood stove.
His hearth / pad for this stove appear incorrect.
The builder used "1/2 ( really 7/16") sheet of hardiebacker over a oak floor. no air space. They then installed 1/2 tile on top.
the stove sits on this pad.

The manual calls for R=.4, I've estimated it's .2-.26 depending on what value you use for hardiebacker and tile
He does not have the clearance for another sheet of backer nor does he want to add an additional pad.

He now thinks he has to rip the pad up and cut into the oak floor to get enough R value.
I am not really sure about pellet stoves and their R value. If it was a wood stove I would really be concerned.
Does he need to increase the R for a pellet insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.