Hearth Removal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I want a wood stove. However, in my home pretty much any alterations we'll be making will be done with resale 5-10yrs. in mind. My realtor has told us that in our area, inserts/fireplaces are desired while stoves/hearths are not. Regardless, I'm wondering if it's possible to install a hearth so that it's easily removed from the floor/wall(s)? Or is a hearth, like a fireplace, a pretty permanent thing?

If I can install a hearth and then take it out without messing up the floor/wall(s), then I don't care what people think while we're there. When we go to show it if we're told the stove was a turn-off, I can just remove it and the hearth. Again, just wondering if it's possible/easy or not?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I assume PA is doing much better then we're with housing. I don't think I'd even buy a house right now if I thought I'd want to sell it in 5 years. I'm jealous!

You can toss a hearth pad down, poke a hole through the ceiling/roof or wall with a class A chimney and call it good. If you want to take it out you'll have to patch up a couple holes, no biggie.

Oh really?!? I thought each stove had a specific size/shape hearth that needed to be built. If that's the case, I can just get rid of the pad/stove/pipe and patch up the wall/flue (although I'm not sure what's involved flue-wise) and erase it from the picture.

Again, I didn't think that was the case but good to know. Are there certain brands/models of "pads" that act as a hearth that are meant for this temporary/non-permanent purpose?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Hearth pad requirements for wood stoves are specific to the stoves, and vary widely, in terms of thermal insulative properties required by the manufactuers. This is true even between different stoves from a single manufacturer. Some stoves require significant R-value built into the hearths, which translates to a more complex and heavier hearth. Other stoves require nothing more than a non-combustible material for simple ember protection. In no case is it required to physically attach the hearth to the structure of the house. Pick the right stove, and what you propose would be nearly as simple as rdust describes. Of course, you'll have at least one penetration through the envelope of the house (either a wall or ceiling/roof) for a flue assembly. But could it all be removed and the house made to look as though it had never been there? Yes. Rick

fossil said:
Hearth pad requirements for wood stoves are specific to the stoves, and vary widely, in terms of thermal insulative properties required by the manufactuers. This is true even between different stoves from a single manufacturer. Some stoves require significant R-value built into the hearths, which translates to a more complex and heavier hearth. Other stoves require nothing more than a non-combustible material for simple ember protection. In no case is it required to physically attach the hearth to the structure of the house. Pick the right stove, and what you propose would be nearly as simple as rdust describes. Of course, you'll have at least one penetration through the envelope of the house (either a wall or ceiling/roof) for a flue assembly. But could it all be removed and the house made to look as though it had never been there? Yes. Rick

Awesome!! Thanks for the link! I read it over and it seems like I have to get a "pad" for the wall and floor but so long as it's ratings match the stove I'm good to go. Back to my last question though.... what are some brands/models to look for that specialize in these "pads"?

I want to get started looking at price as well as appearance.

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

You won't need wall protection. Trust me, you don't want to go there. You need a stove with side, rear, and bottom heat shields, good firebox insulation, and an overall design which minimizes the required clearances to combustibles in all directions, including requiring only ember protection for the floor beneath the stove. What you need to do is start looking at stove specs. To get started doing that, it makes sense to look around at stove dealers in your area to see what brands they carry and begin your research there. Determine the heating requirement (small, medium, or large firebox), then look at the models available from among the locally available brands to research the clearance and hearth requirements for the stoves that seem to be of interest to you. Rick

fossil said:
You won't need wall protection. Trust me, you don't want to go there. You need a stove with side, rear, and bottom heat shields, good firebox insulation, and an overall design which minimizes the required clearances to combustibles in all directions, including requiring only ember protection for the floor beneath the stove. What you need to do is start looking at stove specs. To get started doing that, it makes sense to look around at stove dealers in your area to see what brands they carry and begin your research there. Determine the heating requirement (small, medium, or large firebox), then look at the models available from among the locally available brands to research the clearance and hearth requirements for the stoves that seem to be of interest to you. Rick

That's good advice. I think I'm going to call up the local shop and get some numbers.

I'll ask about heat shields and such as well.

BTW, I'd love to see some pics of these "pads" in use if anyone's got them.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

The heat shields I'm talking about are integral to the stove, installed by either the manufacturer or the selling dealer. Most often these days, the stoves just come with them attached, although I believe there are a few stoves where one or more heat shields are an option. There are commercially available hearth pads. Just Google "hearth pad" and you'll find lots of info on them. Rick

emt1581 said:
BTW, I'd love to see some pics of these "pads" in use if anyone's got them.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

This is about the best picture I currently have of the pad I used.

Attachments

• P3080012.jpg
    P3080012.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 344
fossil said:
The heat shields I'm talking about are integral to the stove, installed by either the manufacturer or the selling dealer. Most often these days, the stoves just come with them attached, although I believe there are a few stoves where one or more heat shields are an option. There are commercially available hearth pads. Just Google "hearth pad" and you'll find lots of info on them. Rick

Will do thanks!

We had a hearth RUG or something like that but it was just for embers flying out to protect the carpet in front of the hearth.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581

Thanks for the pic rdust.

How much did something like that cost?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
Thanks for the pic rdust.

How much did something like that cost?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Ours was made by American Panel Hearth Products we purchased from our local stove shop. Here is link to it http://www.americanpanelhearth.com/Product Line/Product Line.htm#Elegant_Series ours is the Rustic Quartz shown on that page. I want to say it was high 300 or low 400 range, it was priced higher then some of the online ones but we didn't have to pay shipping so it all worked out.

Just make sure that the stove is a long way away from all those guns and ammo. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Just make sure that the stove is a long way away from all those guns and ammo. :coolsmirk:

So I shouldn't build my vault right next to the stove in the middle of the living room then??

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
BrotherBart said:

So I shouldn't build my vault right next to the stove in the middle of the living room then??

-Emt1581

Do what ya gotta do.

God I love the annual summer marathon thread. The only problem is they never come back and tell ya they bought a stove. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
emt1581 said:
BrotherBart said:

-Emt1581

Go what ya gotta do.

God I love the annual summer marathon thread. The only problem is they never come back and tell ya they bought a stove. :lol:

Oh rest assured I will! Turns out my wife never had a problem with the idea of a stove. And since I can just put one of these hearth pads down and make the stove removable if need be....I'm DEFINITELY getting one. But with anything I buy that costs more than $100, I do a ridiculous amount of research so that I get the PERFECT result.

What we're doing this week is going to the house and getting an idea of what we want to do structurally. While we're there we'll consider color schemes which will help us in hearth pad selection (color/material-wise) for when we figure out which stove would be best for us.

That "marathon thread" was just to get my feet wet in the wonderful world of stoves/inserts. Now it's a piece by piece hunt to get the ideal/perfect setup.

Another question I do have is, other than this hearth pad, is there anything I have to do to protect my house from damage due to the stove/fire? That is, will this sort of heat do anything to refinished hardwood? What about any discoloring of walls?

The only reason I ask is because about 10yrs ago my parents went with a gas insert and it discolored all the walls. Something happened where their cigarette smoke interacted with the gas log material or something along those lines... just covering all my bases.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

No discoloration in this house in 28 years that could be blamed on the wood heat. Maybe the chain smoker that feeds it, but not the stove.

As Fossil has said, ya gotta go find the stove that you want. Then work the rest around that.

BeGreen said:
Where are stove and hearthpad going? Basement or living room?
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-Stove-and-Accessories/Hearth-Pads

Don't worry about being perfect, that's an absolute and unobtainable by man, especially considering this is about off the shelf products. Life's a compromise, settle for excellence.

Living room.

We looked at that site already. Thanks for the link though.

Well this is going in my formal living room, so not only do all the elements need to function together, it needs to look nice as well. So, while we can compromise in some areas, in others we can't.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
BeGreen said:
Where are stove and hearthpad going? Basement or living room?
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-Stove-and-Accessories/Hearth-Pads

Don't worry about being perfect, that's an absolute and unobtainable by man, especially considering this is about off the shelf products. Life's a compromise, settle for excellence.

Living room.

We looked at that site already. Thanks for the link though.

Well this is going in my formal living room, so not only do all the elements need to function together, it needs to look nice as well. So, while we can compromise in some areas, in others we can't.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Primary heat from a stove in a formal living room means more mess than I can imagine in a formal living room. My wife is a wood heater from way back but she would never put up with bark and splits in that living room. Or the formal dining room for that matter.

BrotherBart said:
Primary heat from a stove in a formal living room means more mess than I can imagine in a formal living room. My wife is a wood heater from way back but she would never put up with bark and splits in that living room. Or the formal dining room for that matter.

Maybe that's why I haven't found any pics of such setups online. I really want to find a way to make a wood stove work in the living room. It pretty much solves our heating issues for the whole house if we can do that. If not, it means an insert/stove in the basement and that heat is diluted for the first floor and doesn't get up to the second floor.

Man this is frustrating!!

-Emt1581

Status
Not open for further replies.