Hearth Removal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
emt1581 said:
Den said:
Turns out my wife never had a problem with the idea of a stove.
Surely, you jest.

I jest you not!! ;)

-Emt1581

Oh how my head hurts.

At least it looks like you are headed in the right direction now.

If you cannot find a premanufactured hearth pad to fit the decor, I would think that you could construct one that could be removed easily covered with tile or any number of non-combustible materials. Another poster pointed out that selecting a stove with heat shields that reduce clearance to combustibles will reduce or remove the need for anything behind the stove, but again, a heat shield can be constructed for the wall that you can use tile, brick veneer or stone to cover durock or other non combustible material that can be removed with little impact.

I believe you asked about what "damage" there might be to the room from a wood stove, and I would say nothing that a little paint wouldn't take care of, and you will probably paint prior to selling anyway. There will be nicks in the doorway where you bumped the wood against the jamb on occasion unless you devise a way to carry that wood in without doing that. You will be carrying dirt/bark in to that formal living room regardless of whether it is a fireplace, insert, or stove, so plan on that constant cleanup.

emt1581 said:
I want a wood stove. However, in my home pretty much any alterations we'll be making will be done with resale 5-10yrs. in mind. My realtor has told us that in our area, inserts/fireplaces are desired while stoves/hearths are not. Regardless, I'm wondering if it's possible to install a hearth so that it's easily removed from the floor/wall(s)? Or is a hearth, like a fireplace, a pretty permanent thing?

If I can install a hearth and then take it out without messing up the floor/wall(s), then I don't care what people think while we're there. When we go to show it if we're told the stove was a turn-off, I can just remove it and the hearth. Again, just wondering if it's possible/easy or not?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Your realtor probably knows the market, but I can't figure out why stoves/hearths are not desired but inserts/fireplaces are. I'm just curious what the thinking is. Fireplaces waste heat and fuel, inserts dont work as well as a freestanding stove when the power goes out. I'm Just wondering??

fire_man said:
emt1581 said:
I want a wood stove. However, in my home pretty much any alterations we'll be making will be done with resale 5-10yrs. in mind. My realtor has told us that in our area, inserts/fireplaces are desired while stoves/hearths are not. Regardless, I'm wondering if it's possible to install a hearth so that it's easily removed from the floor/wall(s)? Or is a hearth, like a fireplace, a pretty permanent thing?

If I can install a hearth and then take it out without messing up the floor/wall(s), then I don't care what people think while we're there. When we go to show it if we're told the stove was a turn-off, I can just remove it and the hearth. Again, just wondering if it's possible/easy or not?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Your realtor probably knows the market, but I can't figure out why stoves/hearths are not desired but inserts/fireplaces are. I'm just curious what the thinking is. Fireplaces waste heat and fuel, inserts dont work as well as a freestanding stove when the power goes out. I'm Just wondering??

I just went through this. I was going to sell our old house with the stove/chimney/hearth intact, and buy a new setup, taking advantage of the full tax credit. However, several interested buyers
didn't like the wood stove. It took up too much space in the family room. They were worried about kids getting hurt around it. They were worried about the mess. I think many people like the
ambiance of a fireplace. It looks good. They can pick up some wood at the grocery store, etc. a couple times a year. Maybe even one of those easy-light manufactured logs from home depot/menards.
I said the heckwithit, and moved my stove and chimney with me. The price of the home stayed the same, and it sold relatively soon thereafter. Most people aren't willing to do what it takes to heat
with wood. And when you're trying to sell a home, you don't want to give a prospective buyer any reason not to buy.

northwinds said:
fire_man said:
emt1581 said:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I just went through this. I was going to sell our old house with the stove/chimney/hearth intact, and buy a new setup, taking advantage of the full tax credit. However, several interested buyers
didn't like the wood stove. It took up too much space in the family room. They were worried about kids getting hurt around it. They were worried about the mess. I think many people like the
ambiance of a fireplace. It looks good. They can pick up some wood at the grocery store, etc. a couple times a year. Maybe even one of those easy-light manufactured logs from home depot/menards.
I said the heckwithit, and moved my stove and chimney with me. The price of the home stayed the same, and it sold relatively soon thereafter. Most people aren't willing to do what it takes to heat
with wood. And when you're trying to sell a home, you don't want to give a prospective buyer any reason not to buy.

Yup, that makes sense. I forget not everybody shares the typical Hearth.com passions of heating with wood. You know you are a real wood burner if your ankles always itch from chainsaw sawdust that wont wash out from your socks. Some people look at woodburning a little differently. And they probably dont have itchy feet. :cheese:

fire_man said:
northwinds said:
fire_man said:
emt1581 said:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Yup, that makes sense. I forget not everybody shares the typical Hearth.com passions of heating with wood. You know you are a real wood burner if your ankles always itch from chainsaw sawdust that wont wash out from your socks. Some people look at woodburning a little differently. And they probably dont have itchy feet. :cheese:

This is why I want to make my setup removable. I figure if someone comes and likes it, great, if not, we can yank it out and everyone is happy.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Random thoughts:

The Wife: Hurrah . . . EMT's wife doesn't mind the idea of a stove. I think once she sees the many different types that are out there (and all are not black boxes) she'll warm up to the idea even more . . . and when she sees the flames, smells the simmering potpourri and curls up next to the warm stove with a good book in hand she'll really like the idea of the stove being in the living area.

Hardwood Flooring: If memory serves me correctly some folks have reported some minor shrinkage with their wood floors in the winter . . . but they say it expands again come Spring time. Me, I have engineered hardwood flooring (veneer on plywood) and I don't notice any expansion or contraction even nearby the stove.

Smells and Discoloration: Haven't noticed anything . . . sure once in a blue moon I may get a bit of smoke spillage, but this is a very rare event with a properly sized and installed chimney . . . and what little smoke has spilled out of the stove hasn't been enough to even discolor the white ceiling. As for smells . . . nothing but potpourri simmering on the top come winter time.

Research: Ah, a man after my own heart. I too like to research things . . . for days, weeks and months even. Right now I'm researching Ford pick-ups . . . but in the past I once spent over a week researching toaster ovens . . . yup, that's right . . . a $25 toaster oven . . . then again I rarely have buyer's remorse.

Wall Protection: As mentioned typically none is needed . . . and with many models of stoves you can get some very nice, tight clearances with the additional of standard or optional shielding which fits right on the stove . . . and I'm talking very close clearances. In the case of my Oslo for example with a rear heat shield and double wall pipe I could have done a wall install with the stove only being 6 inches out from the wall (this would go up to 10 inches without the double wall pipe) or 18 inches without the double wall pipe or heatshield.) As it was I did a corner install (with the heat shield and double wall pipe) which allowed me to set the stove only 9 inches from the wall . . . only since I am a firm believer in going the extra measure when it comes to safetly I pulled the stove out 2-4 inches extra. There are many other stove makes and models which have similar close clearances . . . without requiring you to build wall protection . . . although some folks prefer the look.

Portable Hearth: Sure they can be portable . . . as mentioned you can buy these (providing they meet the R-value and size for the stove you select) . . . or you can do as I did and be cheap and build your own portable hearth. I made mine out of two layers of plywood, 1/2 sheets of Durock (listed as providing hearth protection) and slate tiles. Technically this is portable . . . truthfully though at this point it's wicked heavy and I did cut away the carpet under the hearth (not necessary, but I did so to insure a flat, hard surface).

"Temporary" Hook-ups: Definitely can be done . . . as mentioned . . . portable hearth and a hole in the wall. When you're ready you move the stove, pick up the hearth and patch the hole in the interior and exterior walls . . . and everyone is happy.

Fireplaces: My wife watches a lot of home improvement shows . . . and the one thing it seems that buyers often desire is a fireplace so I can see why a fireplace is a desirable feature. It seems folks start to conjure up images of cuddling with their loved one in front of a roaring fire, they think of hanging the stockings on the mantle on Christmas Eve, they think how nice it would be to have a fire going on Thanksgiving and think it would be rather practical in case of a power outage . . . sadly these folks often don't realize the truth about fireplaces and realize that while they are nice they are not the best thing when it comes to heating a home. Heck, our fire inspector put a fireplace in his new home and admitted that while he likes it, he rarely uses it and when he does he has to wait a long time before he can shut the damper . . . and in the meantime all the heat in the house simply goes up and out of the chimney.

On the other hand folks see a woodstove and the images that they may conjure up are from their childhood when they had to help cut, split and stack a bazillion cords of wood . . . they remember the home smelling of wood smoke . . . they remember hearing all those reports of chimney fires and fires caused by woodstoves . . . they remember the mess in the house . . . they remember the ugly, black square steel or cast iron stove (without any glass to see the fire) . . . and stories of small children being severely burned by touching the stove . . . and so I can see how a person who is not educated may not look at woodstoves with the same view as many of us here.

Status
Not open for further replies.