Hearth require shoring of floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mariposawrick

Dec 27, 2014
Mariposa, California
I am new to the forum. Thanks, looks like alot of good advice.

I am planning to install a wood stove in a corner of an unheated room, approximately 350 square feet with an open basement area underneath and an attic above. I am concerned that I should shore up the floor before I begin laying a stone or brick hearth, maybe 200 lbs, and install the stove, probably 400 pounds, depending on model.

The building has a perimeter poured concrete foundation, 2x4 stud walls and 2x6 or 2x8 floor joists (I am not there today and have not measured them yet.) The basement area is a crawl space, nothing more. The corner for installation is the deepest, walls no more than 3 feet tall over the sill. I will be building a corner hearth 36 inches wide on the 2 sides by approximately 4 and a half feet deep from front to corner.

My plan is to remove old linoleum floor on the area for the hearth, lay down cement board, then mortar, then bricks or some form of stone (river rock, cobble stones). The walls will be finished the same materials to a height of approximately 4 feet to be taller than the stove installed on the hearth, or maybe the full height of the ceiling, 8 feet, not decided yet.

Do I need to place a 4x6 or 4x8, or other size, beam under my floor joists for this weight of installation?

Thanks for all your advice.

Greetings. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the construction of the floor is suspect. The weight will be evenly distributed by the hearth. If 4 normal weight people can stand in that area then it is likely fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.