hearth rugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
does anyone use a hearth rug to bring clearances up to code?
No. I use it to contain debris from wood handling as well as preventing a hot coal or 3 from bouncing off my flush stone hearth and burning my wood floor. image.jpg

Reactions: Dix
does anyone use a hearth rug to bring clearances up to code?
One should not do that. They’re meant to help if a log or embers come out of stove. That said, they still are affected by embers,etc. They’re not meant to serve as radiant heat protection or non combustible surface for “ember protection only” stoves.

A hearth pad is supposed to be a permanent fixture which a rug is not. We have one, but it is after the end of the hearth which is 17" from the stove glass. It's mainly to catch wild ember pops and as a cozy spot for the cat.