Hearth Separating From Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishin

Hearth Supporter
Aug 26, 2008
VA
My brick fireplace's hearth has slightly seperated from the fireplace. I filled the gap with mortar but it reappears. Anyone had this problem and what is the proper fix.

I moved your thread over the the hearth room where you should get a better answer to your question.

Anyway you can share a few pics of this with us?

pen

Mine did it years ago. And the same thing with filling it with mortar. The stuff shrunk and crumbled. I just figure if the stove hasn't fallen in the basement in 30 years it probably won't. It is supported by cantilevered concrete and rebar. But I still have to take a look at it sometimes when I am in the basement. .

My brick fireplace's hearth has slightly seperated from the fireplace. I filled the gap with mortar but it reappears. Anyone had this problem and what is the proper fix.
You need to take a look at it from the bottom side if you have a crawl space or basement foundation and see what is allowing it to move. The basement type screw jacks or something similar work really well to help stabilize areas that don't have enough support.

It could be happening from one end or the other - or bother ends at once!
That is, the fireplace and chimney could be settling or leaning away from the house - and/or the hearth inside could be settling. You should look at the chimney outside and see if it is pulling away from the house.

If most of the settling is inside, filling it and perhaps bracing or jacking it would be fine...if the chimney outside is become a leaner, you must address it sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.