Hearth Size Requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RyanD1981

Sep 3, 2020
Ottawa
Hi Guys and Gals, I’m new here so go easy on me.

I’m building a new house in Ottawa, Canada. I have a wood stove coming (Blaze King Boxer 24) for the basement. The basement floor is concrete with ceramic tile. I want to raise the stove up off the tile and have it sit on its own concrete pad about 2.5” above the floor. Because the rest of the floor is non-combustable are there still size requirements that the concrete pad has to be?
Thanks

Welcome.
No problem. The entire setup is non-combustible so you are well covered.

That’s really good news. So I can tell my concrete guy to go ahead and place whatever size pad he wants because as long as it’s far enough away from the wall (14” is recommended by the manufacturer) then the rest doesn’t matter because there is nothing else combustable? I just don’t want to pour the pad to find out I have to modify it. Many thanks !

Attachments

• Hearth Size Requirements
    C36F5B7C-AF58-4850-A6BE-27C1AD748B5B.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 52
That’s really good news. So I can tell my concrete guy to go ahead and place whatever size pad he wants because as long as it’s far enough away from the wall (14” is recommended by the manufacturer) then the rest doesn’t matter because there is nothing else combustable? I just don’t want to pour the pad to find out I have to modify it. Many thanks !
Yes, as long as the stove's clearances are properly honored, that should be ok. I am assuming the tiling will be non-combustible and not vinyl or other combustible material. Is that correct?

Exactly - the clearances are all respected and the flooring that’s going ontop of the concrete floor is ceramic tile. I live in Canada I’m hoping the rules are the same here as they are where you’re at. I can’t see why they wouldn’t be as there is nothing combustable around for miles...

The only combustible I see in the picture is the drywall behind the stove. Also, check to verify that the ceiling high enough to meet stove requirements. Use double-wall stove pipe for its lower clearances too.

That’s right the only combustable material is indeed the drywall. The manufacturer recommends a minimum of 14” behind the stove to the wall. The ceilings are 9’ and yes they’re using double walled stove pipe. Thanks again!

Will this be vented straight up or out the wall and then up?