Hearth tile project- building a step under insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncgal

Oct 8, 2012
I have a Vermont Castings Montpelier insert. The surround that was ordered was not tall enough to cover the 33" fireplace opening and none of the other surrounds the company offers were tall enough, so the installer put a piece of painted concrete board behind it. I do not like the look of this, too much black, it chips easily and attracts dirt/dust which does not come off, plus it is way past time for the old painted hearth to get a facelift.

What I would like to do is build up the just the area underneath the stove and have a step down to the rest of the hearth, all covered in tile. Step would be about 4" high x 42" long x about 4" out from wall. I have never seen a hearth like my idea, so I am wondering if this is a bad idea? Something I am not thinking of? What would you use to build the step, concrete block or firebrick?

2012-10-08_15-45-31_689.jpg

Building up the base would require a chimney modification. If the dealer/installer did the measuring and ordering I would contact them and try to remediate the poor install/measurement.

Looks like there are other surrounds for that model, would any of those work. Sorry bout the crappy cut and paste from the companies manual.

Custom-made surround panels may be made from any noncombustible material.
MHSC offers both steel and cast iron Surround panel kits, each in two sizes.rea
Georgian Cast Surround:
30DVSGTKCB, 30DVSGTKB
.........................................30Z\ v x 41 (768 x 1041 mm)
Mead Cast Surround:
MEAD3CB, MEAD3EB, MEAD3BS
.................................28Z\ v” x 41ZZ\ zn” (718 x 1059 mm)
Caprice Cast Adjustable Profile Surround:
CAPCB, CAPEB.................25” x 35” (635 x 889 mm )
Bevel Cast Trim Surround:
LHEABSL....................27M\,” x 40C\v” (708 x 1035 mm)
Steel Surround:
LHE30SSB.....................27” X 38Z\ v” (686 X 972 mm)
LHE30SLB, LHE30SLGA............................................
.......................................28Z\ v” x 41” (718 x 1041 mm)

Building up the base would require a chimney modification. If the dealer/installer did the measuring and ordering I would contact them and try to remediate the poor install/measurement.

Looks like there are other surrounds for that model, would any of those work. Sorry bout the crappy cut and paste from the companies manual.

Custom-made surround panels may be made from any noncombustible material.
MHSC offers both steel and cast iron Surround panel kits, each in two sizes.rea
Georgian Cast Surround:
30DVSGTKCB, 30DVSGTKB
.........................................30Z\ v x 41 (768 x 1041 mm)
Mead Cast Surround:
MEAD3CB, MEAD3EB, MEAD3BS
.................................28Z\ v” x 41ZZ\ zn” (718 x 1059 mm)
Caprice Cast Adjustable Profile Surround:
CAPCB, CAPEB.................25” x 35” (635 x 889 mm )
Bevel Cast Trim Surround:
LHEABSL....................27M\,” x 40C\v” (708 x 1035 mm)
Steel Surround:
LHE30SSB.....................27” X 38Z\ v” (686 X 972 mm)
LHE30SLB, LHE30SLGA............................................
.......................................28Z\ v” x 41” (718 x 1041 mm)
Fireplace opening is 33" tall, we have the mead surround which is 28", georgian is the tallest at 30", still to short :( This was installed two years ago, so I don't feel like we can go back on the dealer at this point. As far as the chimney modification, we have a ss flex liner, stove would have to be disconnected to do the tile anyway, then I am assuming liner would just have to be cut shorter?

If the gap is only at the top, what about having a piece of 22ga metal cut up the width of the surround by 6". Paint it to match the surround. Then attach it to the back of the surround and slide it back tight to the fireplace.

ncgal,

I had the same problem with the surround not covering my fireplace opening even while using the largest surround PE offers. So, I set out to do exactly what you are wanting to do. I built a step that extended about 6" out from the front of the opening and covered the floor of the fireplace. Effectively raised the stove up approx. 2". Worked great, looks good. I will upload a picture soon.

ncgal,

Installed a Montpelier last year with a similar problem, there was a two inch gap on top of the surround. Put a layer of firebrick on the bottom of the fireplace and had a 3"x3" length of blue-stone cut to run along the bottom of the front of the insert & surround. The blue-stone matched the existing hearth and finished the install. There was enough play in the flexible liner to slide it up the three inches needed to fit the stove back in.

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.