Hearthstone Clydesdale insert as a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John O.

Oct 7, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi,
I purchased a Hearthstone Clydsedale 8490 fireplace insert used not realizing it was an insert! We would like to install it at the cottage in the basement. The yet unfinished basement is poured concrete floor and walls with 8 foot ceiling. Putting it in a corner with a chimney running up to the first floor then to the ceiling would warm the place up well in Canadian winters! However...

There is no existing fireplace to insert the insert into. Is there a way I can used the insert as a wood stove without building a fireplace to put it in, provided I put in the code chimney? Or must it have some sort of box to surround it?

My other option is to sell it and buy a wood stove, but I have read up on this model and would really like to use it. Your comments and advice is much appreciated!
John O.

This was just asked last week for another insert. Your situation is a lot safer with no combustibles involved, but the correct answer comes from the manufacturer. The questions that need to be answered are:
Is it permitted by the stove mfg in the manual?
Is it permitted in accordance with local code and fire regulation?

I think you'll find both questions answered in the negative.

Reactions: bholler
I agree with begreen i don't see a problem with it because the area you are putting it in is non combustible but your insurance and local code might disagree

The insert has not been tested in a freestanding application. Thus, it becomes an unlisted (not UL-listed) stove install. In the US, most codes follow then NFPA 211 which states 3 feet of clearance to combustibles for all sides. Not sure what the Canadian code will say but your local building inspector or fire marshal should know. Nevertheless, even if you follow code some insurances will not insure a home with an unlisted stove so you should certainly ask them, too.

That aside: Congrats to the beautiful insert. It's one of the prettiest units on the market, IMHO. Kind of a shame to hide it in a basement where no one will really appreciate it. Have you thought about selling it again and getting a more utilitarian stove like an Englander 30NC or a Drolet Myriad from the proceeds (plus likely having something extra)? Those will also have no issues regarding code and insurance.

Thank you for the replies. Most helpful.

For these kind of things we are somewhat risk adverse and are leaning towards not installing it unless we can do so properly. Having it in the basement would be beneficial as it would warm up the entire cottage and we are planning to divided the 24 x 28 basement into two halves, a workshop/storage area and a large bedroom/sitting room area for overflow or family guests.

Looks like I may have to put it on the market. A shame, but safety first. It is one of the earlier models but other than replacing the baffle (~$80), it's in fine shape. And we did see on Costco a nice Drolet wood stove. . .

Anyone in the region interested? : )

You could build a fireplace surround around it!

You could build a fireplace surround around it!

Not really. You would have to built a full masonry fireplace according to local code around it to make it compliant with ULC requirements.

Thanks. Would you be able to point me to where I could get more info on building (to code) a full masonry fireplace, one that I can build around or use the used Hearthstone Clydsedale 8490 fireplace insert I have? Can it be done as a DIY project? How costly would it be?

It seems it may make sense to keep the insert and build around it.

I would sell it and buy a used stove (assuming you are on a budget). But I would research each stove you fin in your price range and use these forums for the research. Use the search feature, do some looking on your own. When you get things narrowed down, ask the folks here about some specific concerns not addressed using the search function. I would rather see someone spend $500-800 on a great used stove than on a new stove that may not be as solid. I think someone just found an Englander NC30 in these forums, almost new for $400 or so.

Thanks. Would you be able to point me to where I could get more info on building (to code) a full masonry fireplace, one that I can build around or use the used Hearthstone Clydsedale 8490 fireplace insert I have? Can it be done as a DIY project? How costly would it be?

It seems it may make sense to keep the insert and build around it.

Although it is a nice insert, this plan doesn't make a lot of sense. It would be more expensive (and challenging) then selling the insert and getting a freestanding stove and installing a flue system for it, especially if on is not already a skilled mason. Figure on $7-10K to have a pro do this or more if it requires a difficult or tall chimney.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.