Hearthstone comparison- Clydesdale and Phoneix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fortydegnorth

Nov 16, 2010
Kettering, Oh
I currently have a Clydesdale insert heating my 1500 sq ft. ranch with a fairly open floorplan and central fireplace location. I get good heat but have considered going to a freestanding stove. I like the idea of not running a blower 24/7 to heat the house. The Phoenix has the same btu output with maybe a tad lower efficiency, will I get the same heating ability from it as my Clydesdale? I'd like to find a Heritage but used they don't seem to pop up often. I've heard through the grapevine about a Phoenix but really don't want to swap out without any real benifit. This wouldn't be an even swap, I'd likely pay more for the Phoenix than what the Clydesdale would sell for. I also have a short chimney. I currently don't have issues with the Clydesdale drafting although my chimney is only 12' from the insert to cap, are other Hearthstones more draft reliant?

The phoenix is an attractive stove. It uses the switchable flue collar that bolts on at a 45 degree angle and also uses a fluffy ceramic fiber blanket above its baffle. Those things plus the additional bends required to get into your flue will put the phoenix at a drafting disadvantage to your insert. No side door on the phoenix, bummer.

I happen to think that inserts are inferior to freestanders. I tore down a brick chimney with an insert to install my freestanding stove. The blower is irritating and a must plus the huge masonry heatsink prevents the inserts from delivering their heat to the room. Lack of radiant heat with an insert.

For a given firebox size, the freestander will deliver more heat to the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.