Hearthstone Equinox - it's mine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wet1 said:
Highbeam said:
Cripes, this is now a 4000$ stove. It should be excellent.
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heaven forebid. The biggest baddest wood stove on the block costs about what a bunch of pellet stoves cost. :coolsmirk:

Highbeam said:

I looked at this stove in a shop around the 4th of July and it was $3200. Is that $4000 with tax and delivery, or just the cost. The stove is a beauty. I don't think the soapstone will run you out of the house, but if the house is cold, it is going to take a while to heat up all that mass. Give us a report after you have used it for a while. I am interested in how it will work for you.

pinewoodburner said:
Highbeam said:

I looked at this stove in a shop around the 4th of July and it was $3200. Is that $4000 with tax and delivery, or just the cost. The stove is a beauty. I don't think the soapstone will run you out of the house, but if the house is cold, it is going to take a while to heat up all that mass. Give us a report after you have used it for a while. I am interested in how it will work for you.

Got mine for $3,650 otd with 10% off from Cozy Cabin in Warrensburg. I have put half down and will pay off balance next month. The price is now $400-$500 more. I'll give another $450 for dilivery and setup. I keep telling myself "you get what you pay for". If this stove sucks, my wife will kill me!

wellbuilt home said:
I just love the lake and wish i could live there full time . What part of the lake are you on ? There are lots of log homes around me . I am a builder Wellbuilt home additions LLC . Ive been thinking about moveing up full time but Its to dam cold . What you should do is cut your wood to diffrent lenths some 25" some 16" use the 16" wood in the spring and fall and build a fire in the center of the box . I would like to think that the new stove will burn less wood but i dont think so . I have tons of insulation , every wall in the house every floor . plus 1" fome on the outside . Like i said before We used a harth stone H1 and we would use three 12" rounds x 20" for a load . I think you will be OK with a half load 2 or 21/2 cf to get a good burn . There is lots of pine around for free and it would work real good in the EQX in the spring and fall for a fast fire. we would start a fire in the morning to heat the house up and it would still be warm the next day . (We where working on the house) I think you could use scrape frameing lumber allso .Are you buying wood or cutting it your self or both . I lived out on the water in a 30' sail boat from May to Oct since 2000 this year my boat is home. It needs a over haul . I wish I was there . My brother in law is the new princapal in the LG school.

Not on the lake, just a few miles west near Warrensburg. If you don't like the cold, stay away from here. Typically I scrounge all my wood (13 years now) thanks to wind and big snow/ice storms and the occasional power line clearing. I did just buy next years + wood though, for $700 I just got a tri-axil load (7-8 full cord) of 16 foot mostly oak with some other assorted hardwood logs. I'm all set thru this and next year.

"If this stove sucks, my wife will kill me!"

I had the same concern when I bought my HS Homestead last Nov. Had to modify my hearth & chimney and deal with an installer that barked a lot through the permitting process. Lots of junk. My wife would have given up long before me.

Fortunately the stove did well for us (B+) and I expect better this year due to both insulation improvements and longer wood seasoning. We don't have to fight over whether the thermostat is at 70 or 66 F since we'll run in the 70s with the soapstone. My house is 2/3 the size of yours and your fire box is DOUBLE the CUBIC feet. Once you figure out how to move the air around, I suspect you'll be golden (or golden brown).

Really, start a thread in December telling us how the EQU goes once you've worked out the inevitable adjusting period. Many of us are really curious.

I have no experience with this stove but years of exp with others growing up and as an adult, including the Heritage that I installed freestanding with a class A through the wall.
The upsides to the Heritage/Soapstone:
Absolutely beautiful addition to the decor.
Great even burn on the wood
Little Ash
Decent Burn times
Retained heat after fire-Key for shoulder seasons as mentioned
Handled a decent size log of well seasoned with no problem
1500 SQ/ft bungalow in Worcester, MA. Not a lick of insulation when I moved in. Ultimately the whole house was redone and insulated including interior walls and ceilings. The stove heated the whole house except the downstairs bath in the back of the house. When I say heated- the thermostat was in the kitchen and the Temp on that was constantly between 68-72 depending on how I burned the stove. The upstairs needed a window cracked on several nights due to temps up there being even higher. The stove cranked out the heat.

The downsides:
Heat response-It takes a while for the stove to heat up and that can be a downer in the shoulder seasons. Not a big deal during the winter 24/7. It took a while to get the timing and load correct so I wasn't blown out on cool fall/spring nights. Even when this happened you can always open the upstairs windows and regulate the temp that way. Rather more heat than not enough.
Useless ash pan that I think I used once.
Watch your clearances. If this stove heats like mine did you need to pay attention to the combustibles if you go for minimal clearance. The manual says 7" with shield and double wall pipe for the Heritage. The wall behind got very hot and I ended up fabricating a second decorative heat shield that eliminated the problem.
Humidifiers would be a good investment. The air upstairs will dry out significantly.
You will not be disapointed. Your wife will love the look and the feel once you get the hang of it. The $$ is a great investment and that stove should last for a long time!!!

yea price seems the same everywhere .Im a builder and buy lots of gas and wood burners thru out the year , we install for our customers . I can get a real good break on other stoves /But the large soap stones, no one wants to cut you a deal . I will have to drag the stove home my self i could lift it on the porch with a track ho but getting in the house will be fun . The D W is no lite weight ether . Im cutting a dead elm in my yard tonight I have a freind that climes for a living . The tree is by my septic so i dont want to drop it . Then the tree guy has a down tree at his mother in laws that he has to move so i told him i would take it for him. The wood needs to be pushed around the pool in a wheel barrel looks like a job for the kids . looks like i will have 6 or 7 cord by sunday . I wish i could burn wood in my trucks . My mom gos to the pork store in warrensburg all the time.

wellbuilt home said:
yea price seems the same everywhere .Im a builder and buy lots of gas and wood burners thru out the year , we install for our customers . I can get a real good break on other stoves /But the large soap stones, no one wants to cut you a deal . I will have to drag the stove home my self i could lift it on the porch with a track ho but getting in the house will be fun . The D W is no lite weight ether . Im cutting a dead elm in my yard tonight I have a freind that climes for a living . The tree is by my septic so i dont want to drop it . Then the tree guy has a down tree at his mother in laws that he has to move so i told him i would take it for him. The wood needs to be pushed around the pool in a wheel barrel looks like a job for the kids . looks like i will have 6 or 7 cord by sunday . I wish i could burn wood in my trucks . My mom gos to the pork store in warrensburg all the time.

Two things: The DW comes apart, top, doors (all three), ash grate, ashpan, legs come off so moving it isn't that bad. Oscars in Warrensburg is the best place to get meat!

I dont no what im doing with the dw It needs some parts to be like new again .I mite sell it as is .or put it on free cycle . Or just junk it I called my mom and told her to bring me down some sawsege links when she comes .

Status
Not open for further replies.