Hearthstone Harvest - Bought by mistake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaDave

Jan 4, 2016
Fairfield Iowa
new to the forum. I've ended up with a Hearthstone Harvest model 8402. The previous owner advertised it as a Heritage - about 15 years old, and said they had verified this with Hearthstone, but after moving it home, a closer looked revealed that it is a Harvest. So, the catalytic combustor is completely burned out. Otherwise it looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm not particularly excited about having a catalytic stove, but maybe it is not that big a deal. I paid $600 for the stove and can't return it (the previous owner has already spent the money.....). I think the stove is new enough to be EPA certified? Also, the manual I found on-line specifies a 16 inch clearance from the front of the ash lip to the front of the hearth pad. This seems excessive as most other stoves, including the harvest, specify 16 inches from the front of the stove. Space is tight, so I would like to keep the clearances to a minimum. Thanks for any help. I hope I can make this work.....

Manual will be the source for clearances for building code officials... Good luck with the install.

For $600 I would give the stove a shot for the rest of the season and put a new cat in it if that is all it needs parts wise; you might even like it and be surprised. If it turns out you don't care for it, put it on craigslist just before fall and try to get your money back out of it as I'm sure you will likely be able to do.

I don't know much about the Hearthstone Harvest model, but my current Hearthstone Mansfield also requires a 16 inch clearance in front of the stove. I think the 16 inch clearance is fairly commonplace.

Good luck.

catalytic stove
Spend some time reading the forum on the cat stoves ... sounds like once you figure them out, they have qualities that you just can't get from a conventional stove. First up, make sure you have your dry wood supply in advance ... moisture meter might be a good investment too! There are inexpensive ones that won't break the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.