Hearthstone Heritage 8020 Newbie Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simianfever

Jun 3, 2010
Fairfield County, CT
Hi all,

Recently purchased a used Heritage 8020. I'm new to wood burning myself, though my parents used to often in the winter when I was young with a small cast iron stove in our kitchen.

Since its a bit hot to run right now, and I am waiting for the stove pipe to come in for connection to my existing chimney I have a couple maintenance/care questions. The previous owner was not the first, and ran the stove for three seasons. Said she never had to replace anything or had any problems.

1. There is rust stain (likely from a kettle) on the top of the stove on the soapstone itself, is there a way to clean this without damaging the stove or finish?

2. The ceramic baffle looks good from what I can see without taking it out, but the blanket over it is pretty beat up, is this something that typically gets replaced?

3. Since it hasn't had any replacement parts in three years, is their anything I should look for? The door seal on the side door is completely tight, the front door I can get a dollar bill out of with a good slow hard pull, not easy but it comes through eventually.

Not at home now, but happy to provide pics if necessary. Any and all advice welcome. This will likely be the first of many questions I have going forward provided I can't find the answer somewhere previously posted. Thanks!

simianfever said:
Hi all,

Recently purchased a used Heritage 8020. I'm new to wood burning myself, though my parents used to often in the winter when I was young with a small cast iron stove in our kitchen.

Since its a bit hot to run right now, and I am waiting for the stove pipe to come in for connection to my existing chimney I have a couple maintenance/care questions. The previous owner was not the first, and ran the stove for three seasons. Said she never had to replace anything or had any problems.

1. There is rust stain (likely from a kettle) on the top of the stove on the soapstone itself, is there a way to clean this without damaging the stove or finish?

2. The ceramic baffle looks good from what I can see without taking it out, but the blanket over it is pretty beat up, is this something that typically gets replaced?

3. Since it hasn't had any replacement parts in three years, is their anything I should look for? The door seal on the side door is completely tight, the front door I can get a dollar bill out of with a good slow hard pull, not easy but it comes through eventually.

Not at home now, but happy to provide pics if necessary. Any and all advice welcome. This will likely be the first of many questions I have going forward provided I can't find the answer somewhere previously posted. Thanks!

1. is its stained w/ rust, only resurfacing will work, abrasives like steel wool might remove it, but alos the polish
2.cera blankets fall apart and need replacing from time to time
3.sounds like you got the basics!

If the stain is on the soapstone and it looks like rust, you can use a very very fine brillo and allow the rest to try to burn off. Replace the blanket with some rock wool if it is falling apart. If it just looks beat up, I wouldnt bother replacing it. Your dollar bill test, if you did it on all 4 sides of the door perimeter, shows you have good door seals. Did you check the ash pan door as well? You got yourself a nice stove. Enjoy it and post a pic or two when your install is done

Before you try sanding with steel wool, try soaking a white terry cloth towel in hydrogen peroxide &
laying it over the stain. I've had some luck removing rust stains in this manner...
The peroxide kinda bubbles it out of the stone...
Even if it's not totally successful, it probably can't make it any worse...
Good luck!

DAKSY said:
Before you try sanding with steel wool, try soaking a white terry cloth towel in hydrogen peroxide &
laying it over the stain. I've had some luck removing rust stains in this manner...
Good luck!

Have never heard this one! thanks
i have a used hsI with some rust stains, i'll have to try this :)

DAKSY said:
Good luck!

This technigue worked really well to loosen up some surface rust that was stuck to the stone. The actually rust stain in the stone is still there, however much more faint. I wish I had taken some before and after pictures to actually see how much of a difference it made, but it is noticeably improved.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You may try a little Oxalic Acid. We make a little slurry with water and use it to take stains out of wood furniture we refinish. Takes out the real deep black water rings out of the wood. It is basically used to take stains out of concrete. BUT I have never used it on Soapstone. Maybe try a little spot first to see if it works. Put a little of the powder in a jar with a little water until it looks like a slushy. Then put it on the stain and leave there for about 5 mins. Make sure you wear eye protection and rubber gloves too. Let me know if you try it...with results. Thanks.

Here is a link to read...

http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/oxalic_acid.html

Or you could get yourself a nice kettle to put on top of the stain

:)

Wood Heat Stoves said:
i use oxalic acid to clean rust off of quartz crystals, how will the metal hold up??
Not sure Dave, I have never used it on metal.That's why I would try it on a small area first. I thought he had a soapstone stove anyway. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.