Hearthstone Heritage, EcoBricks, and Maintaining Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzbiker

Dec 24, 2011
Ohio
I know that Hearthstone doesn't officially support sawdust bricks but I have questions for those that use them..
What temp do you maintain?
Where do you set the air controll to maintain that temp?
How many bricks so you add and how often to maintain?
Any given outdoor temp, you pick...

I'm just trying to figure out if I should keep it loaded or throw a few bricks in every once in a while.

Thanks,
Dave

Each stove reacts a bit differently to those bricks, maybe start with four or six , depending on the size of the bricks, stacked tightly together. Do not just fill up the firebox with them. Watch your temps as far as closing down the primary or switching to cat. When the bricks are just falling apart would be a good time to add more. It will take some monitoring to get a good feel for them not unlike burning Pine vs Oak . They due burn hotter than cord wood as they are quite a bit denser.

I have tried diff ones..some work better then others.
But figure on paying about twice the price of cord wood for the same heat.
but they stack nice and take up less room and no bugs!

We used them a lot in year 1 and some in year 2 and don't expect to again. We got the best "bang" by mixing them with splits. (we used the TSC Ecobricks, the smaller ones that it seems they don't carry anymore). We didn't have seasoned wood at all, so mixing them in seemed to get the heat in the firebox quickly and then get temps up so the wood would catch and burn well. The few times we tried it with only bricks didn't end up well, not great burn times-quick fast heat but it just didn't last.

Status
Not open for further replies.