Hearthstone Heritage II Tips and info.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamsey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 3, 2014
CT
I had the torsion spring go on my stove a while back. Thought I would post the instructions on how to replace it.
Did not go very easy. Broke off one of the screw heads and quit there. It was still under warranty and I had the dealer finish. Not the 10-15 minute job that he was told.

Also installed an OAK and it burns soo much better now. Longer, hotter and we do not get a lot of coals. We had an existing 4" OAK for the fireplace so I just tapped into that took about an hour.

Attachments

• Torsion spring.pdf
    244.2 KB · Views: 164
  • OAK.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 199
Based on my experience I'd like to offer an alternative procedure. This method eliminates the need to remove the four "stone retainer screws" as indicated in the manufacturer's pdf:

With the door closed, remove the hinge pin. (The pdf recommends two people per its instructions. If you have a second pair of hands you might want to have them hold the door in place, although I did this by myself.)

Carefully open/remove the door. The door can be freed from the hinge plate by simply rotating the door such that the tabs of the hinge plate come out of the slots of the door. There is no need to take the door apart.

You still are forced to remove the four frame screws to replace the spring . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.