Hearthstone Heritage Only

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoopdancer

Hearth Supporter
Sep 7, 2008
Calgary Alberta
I was hoping that some of you that own a Hearthstone Heritage stove could answer "What is the highest temperature you have had on the floor surface below your stove?". The hearth pad I'm building will suit the R=1.2 and protect the combustible sub-floor surface below but I would like to use a slab of granite on the top and the supplier has said that it cannot get too hot or it will pop, crack. I was looking at just using 1/2" tile but I'm using granite counter tops near by in the kitchen and maybe it's a good idea to keep it consistent throughout. The supplier has had experiences of cracking with over heating before but with this stove being generally made of soapstone I'm guessing the heat will not be as intense. Your input would be appreciated.

It's never been too hot for my dog to lay on. I've never measured the tile temp, but she was up to 165F one night according to my laser thermometer.

Tarmsolo60 said:
It's never been too hot for my dog to lay on. I've never measured the tile temp, but she was up to 165F one night according to my laser thermometer.

That's one hot dog! I know our female golden will lay there until she is panting and to hot to pet..

I doubt it gets hot enough to crack the stone, people put pretty hot stuff on their counter tops and they don't crack.. My bet would be a poor install allowed the stone to crack that your guy has seen. Poorly supported and bedded, then a heavy stove set on top... We just pulled up my neighbors stone tile hearth extension, it was cracked in a couple places.. laid right on the OSB sub-floor, and about half the mortar bed it should have had..

Thanks Tarms and Dakotas. 165F doesn't sound too bad, kind of toasty. You have me wondering and maybe a few others about what temperature dog hair burns at? A 3/4" Granite hearth should be good for soapstone but I thinking hearths with steel stoves must get hotter than 165F. Does anyone know anyone that has ever had a solid granite hearth crack from over heating their stove? Anyone with a Heritage soapstone stove get hotter than 165F? I'm going to look at a new shipment of granite slabs tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

My big honkin steel stove, trapped in the fireplace, has been sitting cruising for an hour and a half at 500 on the stove top and I just checked and the brick hearth under it is a raging 81 degrees. A couple of feet out in front of the door the pad is 90 degrees. When the secondaries are rolling the pad in front of the door gets pretty hot from the radiant heat. But nowhere near as hot as the bottom of a pot you take off the cook stove and sit on that granite counter top.

Hoopdancer said:
Thanks Tarms and Dakotas. 165F doesn't sound too bad, kind of toasty. You have me wondering and maybe a few others about what temperature dog hair burns at? A 3/4" Granite hearth should be good for soapstone but I thinking hearths with steel stoves must get hotter than 165F. Does anyone know anyone that has ever had a solid granite hearth crack from over heating their stove? Anyone with a soapstone stove get hotter than 165F? I'm going to look at a new shipment of granite slabs tomorrow. Thanks for you help.

Just guessing that the hearth "R"value requirements relate to how much "heat" is under the stove... I have NEVER seen a stove with a higher "R"value requirement than my soapstone stove..lol. (6.6 Rvalue)

It's going to depend how much ash you have in the pan and in the firebox. With the first full temp fire I built in my heritage, I stuck my hand under the stove and it was HOT. I don't have an IR gadget, so I don't know what the temperature was, but I couldn't keep my hand there. Since then, though, I've checked several times and it's never been close to that first fire - and I've had some much hotter fire recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.