Hearthstone Morgan: removable baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dakotas Dad said:
Highbeam said:
On my Hearthstone heritage, there are three cotter pins near the baffle. One holds the little SS deflector bracket to the front tube and the other two pins run through the baffle and through the center air tube to hold the baffle in place. I thought that newer models had done away with the cotter pins in favor of SS wire but regardless, those cotter pins do not hold the air tubes in place. The air tubes are solid and are used to hold the baffle in place by way of the cotter pins.

Thanks Dave for making Jim's information so findable. I have been in contact with him in the past and think he is very helpful.

well.... I pulled my cotter pins out and that released the air tubes. I now have 3 air tubes on the floor, and a little spacer, and two cotter pins, but that baffle has not/will not move(d).

Woops, I guess that they are different then. Better refer to the manual or talk to Jim at HS.

I have a 1 year old Hearthstone Homestead wood stove and ceramic sheet crumbled - I have another same stove and figured out how to get the air tubes out and all but the ceramic baffle sheet is a mystery how to get it out even to clean the chimney. I can reach on top and feel with my hands all around and the sheet is very big to try to lift up and tilt out - can slide a little front to back - seems to be slag and stuff holding the sheet down from above. Has to be a trick here! Let me know please if you have the answer. I just read above that the trick is on me - take apart the stove? Hearthstone must have planned this! LOL! :roll:

Can't speak for the hearthstone stoves but the Morgan and its big brother the clydesdale inserts both have the same setup. You have to remove the side and back brackets and the side and back soap stones first, then Loosen 2 hex bolts at the back of the firebox that hold the baffle plate in place. Spray them with some wd40 first and they come loose real easy. Lift the baffle assembly with hands spread across the tubes so you don't put pressure on the ceramic baffle plate above and lift up and forward about an inch or so, the whole assembly can then be lowered onto the firebox floor in tact. Simple as that, takes 5 minutes, no taking anything apart on the assembly.. The ceramic baffle is almost a 1/2 inch thick and is not as fragile as some would make it out to be but it is ceramic for crying out load.. Plow into it with a cleaning brush?? What do you expect to happen?

I can't imagine how a seasoned sweep would not know this.. I'm a total novice as stoves and inserts go and figured it out on the first shot.

bren582 said:
Can't speak for the hearthstone stoves but the Morgan and its big brother the clydesdale inserts both have the same setup. You have to remove the side and back brackets and the side and back soap stones first, then Loosen 2 hex bolts at the back of the firebox that hold the baffle plate in place. Spray them with some wd40 first and they come loose real easy. Lift the baffle assembly with hands spread across the tubes so you don't put pressure on the ceramic baffle plate above and lift up and forward about an inch or so, the whole assembly can then be lowered onto the firebox floor in tact. Simple as that, takes 5 minutes, no taking anything apart on the assembly.. The ceramic baffle is almost a 1/2 inch thick and is not as fragile as some would make it out to be but it is ceramic for crying out load.. Plow into it with a cleaning brush?? What do you expect to happen?

I can't imagine how a seasoned sweep would not know this.. I'm a total novice as stoves and inserts go and figured it out on the first shot.
I have had my Morgan for five years. You don't need to remove any bolts, soap stone ect. Just lift up and pull forward. Then angle it and it comes right out....

Hey IPLumb.. Does the Morgan have side and back soapstone like the the larger Clydesdale? If so i guess that baffle assembly must be smaller in the Morgan versus the Clydesdale so I respectively stand corrected..

Well there you go, just noticed Edthedawg's post after reading the manual on the hearthstone site.. So for sure the Clydesdale interior stones need to be removed and bolts loosened while the the Morgan can be done sans bolts and stone activitoes.. Sorry for any confusion caused to those Morgan owners out there..

bren582 said:
Well there you go, just noticed Edthedawg's post after reading the manual on the hearthstone site.. So for sure the Clydesdale interior stones need to be removed and bolts loosened while the the Morgan can be done sans bolts and stone activitoes.. Sorry for any confusion caused to those Morgan owners out there..
No worries...Yes us little guys have side soap stone too.....I was just trying to say that its easier to remove the baffle than drilling a hole. LOL How would you drill hole without removing the baffle?

Apple said:
I have a 1 year old Hearthstone Homestead wood stove and ceramic sheet crumbled - I have another same stove and figured out how to get the air tubes out and all but the ceramic baffle sheet is a mystery how to get it out even to clean the chimney. I can reach on top and feel with my hands all around and the sheet is very big to try to lift up and tilt out - can slide a little front to back - seems to be slag and stuff holding the sheet down from above. Has to be a trick here! Let me know please if you have the answer. I just read above that the trick is on me - take apart the stove? Hearthstone must have planned this! LOL! :roll:

Apple - why don't you do yourself a tiny favor and launch a new thread on this topic? Probably get a more focused answer about your Homestead if your query isn't buried inside a "Morgan" titled thread :) Homestead baffles are a little tough to remove sometimes - different from the Heritage. But properly maintained and used, they oughta be removable w/out destroying them. do NOT run without the baffle! Good luck!

I searched 4-5 ways in this site trying to find this issue with the Homestead and found the exact issue discussed above -in fact a little further down was my answer sitting there for me before I even posted. I did get an update from the tech and he said you have to take the stove apart to change the ceramic blanket. That finishes this topic for me and I will watch how the stove comes apart. The tech did send me the exploded parts drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.