Hearthstone Tribute draft and window problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lw12047

Oct 24, 2008
Albany area, NY
Hello all, I hope I'm posting this to the correct forum, and will try to be as brief as possible.
I had a Hearthstone Tribute installed at the beginning of the month. (Hoping a professional install would be trouble free.)
Double wall pipe inside, one elbow, through the wall, to a T and up the side of the house. (Class A)
I'm getting very poor draft, smokes if the door is opened 3 inches, no matter how slowly I open it, damper open first, 32 degrees outside monday morning and a good hot fire going, fire in it since sunday night in fact, still smokes.
Had a few fires mid-month but at the time chalked it up to warmer temps. outside.
Window glass also blackened heavily after two fires. Cleaned it thoroughly, it blackened again. I assume this is related.
The receipt written up by the technician who did the site inspection says 14' for the chimney, I noticed they'd only given me 10'.
Called the people who installed it to come look at it on wed. of this week, they claimed the chimney was high enough, "to code", which to me does not necessarily mean it's adequate for the particular situation.
They questioned my wood. It is not the wood. Wood is well seasoned, dry, I even tried some Cherry and Maple that I'd split 4 years ago.
They checked the inside of the stove, damper is fine, baffle is fine, checked the chimney, no obstructions. They suggested negative pressure inside the house. It's a drafty house to begin with, and I've tried opening every different window and door anywhere in the vicinity of the stove, in differeing combinations. Clearly this is not the issue.
They were going to talk to their "expert" and get back to me by today. They did not, I called them "I haven't seen him, I'll run into him some time". Tried to contact him myself got voice mail. Basically I'm going to be calling them back on monday morning and threatening legal action (which I have never done in my life) if they don't come out and make it right, as I have $5500 sunk in this stove, and can't even use it without smoking up my house.
The solution I personally keep coming back to is the chimney. It is two feet above the edge of the existing roof, but well below, about 2 feet, the height of the peak, which is behind it, to the north. 14' of pipe would bring it 2' over the peak. Which seems to be a suggestion I keep coming to online.
So what I'm asking, now that I've laid out all of the details I can think of without turning this into a book, is, am I correct in this assumption, should I request (or most likely I'll have to demand, the way these people have been about "getting back to me") that they come and add 4 more feet of pipe? Or is their anything else it might reasonably be that I have not covered?
Also if anyone else has a Tribute and has had similar problems I'd love to hear from you.

One more thing that may or may not be pertinent: upon starting a fire in the morning, when it's a little smoky, the smoke sinks directly towards the ground, and essentially pools up on my front lawn. Which makes me further suppose that the chimney at that particular height is basically in a "dead" zone of air.
Thanks for your time and input.

The cold smoke will always sink into the lawn. Means your kindling is too big and your draft is weak. Another symptom. If you add another 4' to the chimney then you will have 6 feet swinging up in the wind and must use one of those roof braces. In your shoes I would absolutely extend that chimney. Read your owner's manual where they list a required chimney height. For my heritage it is 13 or 14 feet of vertical chimney. Your 10 feet is not enough. Made worse by the bends which take away from the effective chimney length.

Your chimney is too short, is an exterior chimney which is disadvantaged due to being cold, and on top of that I suspect that your wood is either too wet or more likely you are just using chunks that are too big.

The chimney shortness is the big one. Meeting code is not the same as meeting the manufacturer's requirements for the stove you need both.

Highbeam said:
The cold smoke will always sink into the lawn. Means your kindling is too big and your draft is weak. Another symptom. If you add another 4' to the chimney then you will have 6 feet swinging up in the wind and must use one of those roof braces. In your shoes I would absolutely extend that chimney. Read your owner's manual where they list a required chimney height. For my heritage it is 13 or 14 feet of vertical chimney. Your 10 feet is not enough. Made worse by the bends which take away from the effective chimney length.

Your chimney is too short, is an exterior chimney which is disadvantaged due to being cold, and on top of that I suspect that your wood is either too wet or more likely you are just using chunks that are too big.

The chimney shortness is the big one. Meeting code is not the same as meeting the manufacturer's requirements for the stove you need both.

That about sums it up.

Regarding the chimney from the Tribute manual:

Chimney height requirements: (See Illustration)
At least 3 feet (0.9 m) higher than the highest part of the roof opening through which it passes.
At least 2 feet (0.6 m) higher than any part of the roof within 10 feet (3 m) measured horizontally from the top of the chimney.
This stove requires a minimum chimney height of 13 feet
(4 m). The maximum allowable chimney height is 30 feet (9m).

A lot of times the vertical length of stove pipe is included in chimney height.

Additionally, the elbow in the stove pipe and the tee for the chimney pipe also reduce the effective height of the chimney and will need to be compensated for.

Status
Not open for further replies.