Hearthstove vs insert for 1100 sq ft house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ginko

Nov 28, 2009
ky
I started my search thinking I wanted an insert like the Lopi Declaration. Then I learned that, especially with my exterior masonry fireplace, the flush insert wouldn't do much without a fan. If I'm going to spend the money on this I want something that will work in a power outage. I don't think I want to fool with a generator and don't like the idea of fan noise.
So I'm leaning toward a hearth stove. House is small- around 1100 sq ft. The fireplace is downstairs in my living/dining open floor plan space w/ partially open stairway to upstairs.
Part of my problem is that my hearth pad is only 13.5" deep. I'm considering adding a hearth extension- just want to take up as little floor space as possible.
Fireplace dimensions: Front and rear height 26" Front width 31.5" Rear width 26.5 Depth 21.5
I'd like to find a stove that can be set partly into the fireplace but that 26" height is a problem.
The Jotul 500 is 26" high with the short legs. All other stoves I've found are taller.

Any suggestions?

I may not be picturing your situation correctly, but the hearth extension idea is going to be tough--you'd have to rip up the sub floor to keep the non-combustable surface flush with the floor; and not loose any clearance on top. I guess it boils down to which is more important--a smaller footprint on the floor or being electricity independent. I know KY can get some bad ice storms, but if it were me, I'd get the insert w/fan and not mess with the floor. There's dozens of power inverters out there to buy & hook up to a car battery to get you through a blackout. The fan on mine is very quiet on low.

Ginko,
I've got something similar, and the Hearthstone Homestead worked great for me: no fan noise, heats the whole of my upstairs (1,100 sq. ft), looks pretty, and runs like a top. Currently 72* inside, 23 outside. Went the whole day with 6 pieces of oak.
Manual with dimensions here: http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=19

PM me if you'd like more info/pics.

S

Attachments

• DSC01083.jpg
    DSC01083.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 219
Thanks for the info/input.
My hearth pad is brick- about 3.5 " high. So I would get a pad extension to match that height. I've found extensions online as "shallow" as 12". From what I've read my impression is that it would just sit on top of my hardwood floor in front of the existing pad. I suppose there might have to be some type of fireproof grout or other material joining the two?
I looked at the Hearthstone stoves- they are beautiful and I like what I've read about soapstone. But Hearthstone says not to burn with the door open. (I would only do that with a screen of course). I know its not nearly as efficient but I'd like to have that option.
I think I want to look at inserts that extend into the room enough to provide some radient heat. I'll keep in mind the thing you hook up to the car battery.

Maybe make a stove vs insert pros and cons list... Wow! So much to consider! But I'd rather go crazy researching now than cry later!

But Hearthstone says not to burn with the door open. (I would only do that with a screen of course). I know its not nearly as efficient but I’d like to have that option.

We hear this pretty often. I made the mistake of getting a screen with a stove. Used it once and then it gathered dust. In reality a very small percentage of owners that get the screen option, actually use it after the first few tries.

To make the decision easier, prioritize the list of must haves vs wants. An example might be: the stove must be right-sized, must fit (flue collar height), must be affordable?, must look good to you, easy operate, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.