Heat contributed by occupants?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

easternbob

Nov 29, 2007
Central NY
Looked around on the web some but couldn't find any concenious as to how much heat the occupant of a house contributes to warming the house. Just built a new house and really notice that when we have company over the house gets warms up pretty quick. Any idea how many btu/hr the average person is putting out? How about regular light bulbs (btu/watt), refrigerator, etc? I'm sure everyone's been at parties that you have to open the windows after a while. thanks.
Bob

The rule of thumb I remember from HVAC was an adult was equivalent to a 100 watt lightbulb exclusive of the heat generated by actvivities (running the oven ETC). Of course you can always fire up the Matrix and see what size Duracells they use:)

Too funny...peakbagger...I had the exact same "Matrix" thoughts when I read this thread title.

nofossil said:
Of course, people (like storage tanks) lose less heat to the environment when they're well wrapped with insulation. To get maximum heat gain from your occupants, make sure that you have maximum exposed surface area.

Haaaaaa. You make the list(check signature)

I think Dan Holohan has it at 500/btu/hr in one of his books.

exposed and moving rapidly............

So if I figure somewhere between 200-300 btu/hr/person (depending on clothes and activity level) I should be safe.
I might try this line some evening.... "If we take our clothes off and dance around we won't need to put more wood on the fire" Or put another way..... "save a tree, dance naked"
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.