Heat diffuser above wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalves

Jan 23, 2015
Lunenburg, MA
My wife and I bought a house with a wood stove in the basement about 6 years ago. The ceiling in the basement was sheetrocked and there was what looked like a stone heat diffuser that was mounted to the ceiling above the wood stove. We had water get in the basement over the years which led to a mold problem. We recently had the mold remediation done and they removed all the sheetrock from the basement including the stone diffuser over the wood stove. I don't want to risk the warping or any damage to the floor joists above the stove. I'm wondering if it is recommended to put some other type of diffuser up before using the wood stove on a regular basis again. I measured and the top of the wood stove is 55" away from the bottom of the joist and the top of the stove pipe is 17" from the bottom of the joist. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on the stove, all have different numbers. The stove pipe depends on if it is single wall or double wall.
I'll have to look at the stove to see if I can find a brand name. I can tell you this thing looks pretty old. All solid with no glass door. I am almost positive the pipe is single wall.

For safety sake put a sheet of 3'x5' cement board or metal on 1" spacers centered above the stovepipe and stove.

Reactions: Owen1508
Status
Not open for further replies.