heat distribution help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littleuing

Jan 14, 2014
PA
Okay so i have an old house with steps up and down in odd places so ceilings dont line up and i have a crawl space under the house... and the main section of the house is a few old log house over 100 years old... i aytacked a few quick layouts of the house... very poor as i used the phone to make them quick.... the red spot is the stove... green dots are a steps going up... the one with the curver line around stove is the downstairs the red dot upstairs is stove pipe.... basicly the room with the woodstove and upstairs gets hot were the other rooms do not get warmed by the stove... i was told buy a guy to cut vents in the floor where the blue dots are to allow beter flow in the house... as the air goes up the steps the warmer air can get sucked down through the vents and back through the house into the back where the stove is.

Anyone think this could really help... its easy to do but hate to do it and not see a difference.

IMG_20141020_035650.jpg IMG_20141020_040134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think cutting holes in the floor should be a last resort. Some of the most effective movement of air happens with wise placement of floor fans. Moving cold air is easier than moving hot air so focus on that. Fans placed at the top of steps pointing down help move cold air to the stove room very well.

So in a nut shell, your goal is to use fans to move the cold air to the stove room to be reheated and rise back to other rooms. I have had great success with this and it is quite cheap to accomplish.

Guess the problem is the door to the rest of the main floor is right below the steps and is also two step down from the room with the stove. i have placed fans tring to blow the cold air into the stove room but it made no real diffrence... wanted to run some ducts from that room to the other side but the way all the floors are offset from each other makes it very hard. Could run some ducts through the crawl space but figure i would loose to much heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.