Heat exchanger cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crs7200

Oct 17, 2008
Hello,I did a search but resulted nothing.

I have OWB that hooks to a forced air furnace using a water - air heat exchanger. There's a LOT of lime in the water in my area, and I think that it is starting to affect the heat exchangers ability to do it's job. Anyone know what I can use to break up and clean out the lime and any other minerals that may be crusted on the inside of my exchanger? Thanks in advance.

CLR definitely cuts the lime, but I'm not sure of the implications of having it in your system.

CLR definitely cuts the lime, but I'm not sure of the implications of having it in your system.

Maybe invest in one of these kits. http://www.flow-aide.com/

They were designed to flush tankless heaters. Cut in a couple Webstone valves so you can easily tap in and flush.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-02-15 at 5.01.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-02-15 at 5.01.58 PM.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 151
What's the total volume of your system? A couple hundred gallons? You aren't going to get much scale from 200 gallons unless you add a considerable amount of water over time. How much water do you add? You mostly will get scale build-up in a DHW system where fresh water is constantly getting heated, used and replaced while leaving the minerals behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.