Heat exchanger problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I have an own and have a plate exchanger for heating my domestic hot water. I use this as a tankless hot water heater and it works great. The problem I am having is my wood boiler gains water. This is the second time this has happened. The last time the plate exchanger was bad. It lasted 3 years. Now it started doing the same thing. This time it only lasted 2 years. 3 years ago I had to put a pressure regulator on our supply water coming into the house. I am thinking that has something to do with it. I'm thinking I need to add an expansion tank. Anyone have any suggestions?

Not really, without more info. I am not sure how normal household water pressures would blow through a plate exchanger. If it is being used as an on demand heater like it sounds from what you said, I don't think the lack of an expansion tank would cause issues. But have no idea what your entire system consists of.

I think something in your water is eating out the copper brazing in the plate exchanger, which allows water to push into the wood boiler and overfill it. Have you ever tested the domestic water? I've seen several that do this, sometimes in a year's time.

I think something in your water is eating out the copper brazing in the plate exchanger, which allows water to push into the wood boiler and overfill it. Have you ever tested the domestic water? I've seen several that do this, sometimes in a year's time.
I havent had my water tested. I am on county water so I would think it would be fine. I dont have any other water related problems. I may check into getting it tested.

I have an own and have a plate exchanger for heating my domestic hot water. I use this as a tankless hot water heater and it works great. The problem I am having is my wood boiler gains water. This is the second time this has happened. The last time the plate exchanger was bad. It lasted 3 years. Now it started doing the same thing. This time it only lasted 2 years. 3 years ago I had to put a pressure regulator on our supply water coming into the house. I am thinking that has something to do with it. I'm thinking I need to add an expansion tank. Anyone have any suggestions?
Unless you have a check valve between the pressure tank and the plate exchanger your pressure tank is acting as an expansion tank.

where are you getting the plate exchanger from.

Reactions: duramaxman05
A simple pH test is where I would start. Low pH is common in domestic water supplies, especially those drawn from surface waters. pH low enough that it dissolves copper and the sewage then becomes so coppery that we exceed limits at the dicharge point.

I've adjusted the pH of more than once city water supply (raised it to neutral) to prevent the copper corrosion.

Unless you have a check valve between the pressure tank and the plate exchanger your pressure tank is acting as an expansion tank.

where are you getting the plate exchanger from.
We have county water. I guess I need to get it tested. I got the heat exchanger for freeheat4you.com. they said they have a lifetime warranty. I am going to try to make it through may. That's when I shut my stove down.

A simple pH test is where I would start. Low pH is common in domestic water supplies, especially those drawn from surface waters. pH low enough that it dissolves copper and the sewage then becomes so coppery that we exceed limits at the dicharge point.

I've adjusted the pH of more than once city water supply (raised it to neutral) to prevent the copper corrosion.
What am I looking for in a ph test?

We have county water. I guess I need to get it tested. I got the heat exchanger for freeheat4you.com. they said they have a lifetime warranty. I am going to try to make it through may. That's when I shut my stove down.

Ah the famous lifetime warranty.

Be curious if they replace it. And i would try to get them to.

Ah the famous lifetime warranty.

Be curious if they replace it. And i would try to get them to.
I kind of thought the same thing.

I did a ph test on my water. According to the test it is 8.0.

It's probably similar but it's worth testing the boiler side as well.
I send a water sample to portage and main every year. It came that the nitrates were a little low so I added a gallon of corrosion inhibitor