1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Roki

Roki New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Hello!

I bought a stove and am trying to figure out what exactly it is and how it's supposed to work. I have attached a picture of the label on the back. I have searched the internet for "Heat King" but can't find anything except a few posts that say the company is no longer in business. How can I find out when it was made and more info on it? Obviously I'm incredibly new at wood-burning stoves so please be patient with me.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. shawneyboy

shawneyboy New Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    First off welcome to the forum. This is probably one of best places to find info on wood burning.

I really can't help much on that specific brand or model but..... the way it works is you put in kindling and wood, light it on fire, get warnth.... Sorry I couldn't resist.

Shawn
  3. Fsappo

Fsappo New Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Man, not finding much on this stove or the company at all. By the handwriting on the tag for the model and serial numbers, I'm gonna guess this may have been a flash in the pan type stove.
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Definitely an oldie - ICBO approval was more typical back in the 1970's.
    I've heard of 95% of stove companies....but either never heard of this one or don't remember. There were about 500 at one time during the boom of the late 1970's - and most of them were gone a few years later.
    Many were regional or local.

Found an old post with no info:
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24550/

Baker stoves calls one of their unit a Heat King, but I don't think this would be it.
  5. Wood Heat Stoves

Wood Heat Stoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nevada City, California
    I remember the Heat King stoves but not a lot of detail. What I do remember was that the model I saw was very large. They were a non EPA stove and came out at or around the Fisher-Timberline-Scraeder era. They should work just like any of those. Should put out a lot of heat but not efficient or clean burning. You should be able to control the fire OK.
  6. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Optimized-heatking.jpg Optimized-heatking.jpg
  7. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
  8. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
  9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Wow, that looks like a wood storage chest and stove all in one.
  10. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

It's the entrance to the Bat Cave! ;lol
  11. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Nice work Mr.A. I remember when I could google search....
  12. buzzsaw

buzzsaw New Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum. We purchased a home in Nevada with a very large Heat King stove in it, I have burned wood my whole life but have never seen a stove this large, it
    must be at four feet wide. Have you found any additional information on your stove? I would like to know if any parts are available anywhere?
    Thanks, Bob
  13. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
  14. buzzsaw

buzzsaw New Member

Hey, that is close. Mine has a solid front drop down door that has two hinges to support the bottom and two chains to stop the door. No glass
    in the door. I am having a problem finding fire brick that will fit. I bought some from a wood stove place and the length is over 9", probably more
    like 9 and 3/16" each, this makes for an increase of 9/16" of an inch when installing three across. Run across before?
  15. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Cut the brick to fit. Use a diamond blade in a skil saw, an angle grinder, a tile saw. Nice to have a stove that comes with the place, but I was schooled on old wood burners here, and so, I'll pass it along. Any stove made pre 1992 is inefficient. Stoves without a pipe all the way to the chimney are a hazard. Carbon monoxide risk, and extra sweep maintenance costs. Also increased risk of chimney fire due to no chimney liner. I started with a "slammer stove installation". Yea, it did heat the house, but I was always nervous about it. You definitely want to have your chimney cleaned and inspected before you start using that heat king. There are good deals out there on anything, just keep looking.