Heat Powered EcoFan...Input needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
Do a search - there has been a lot of talk on here about them and general concensus is that they are a cool novelty but really do not move enough air to make a difference. Very similar(in value) to a pot of water on the stove to moisten the air. good idea but really do not help.

My friend has one of the fans on his stove and it is cool but, as others have discovered, really is impractical. Especially when you concider the cost.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I own one and it is correct that they don't move "air" as well as a powered fan. But, their main purpose is to move "heat" not "air". I can tell a difference between using it and not using as the heat is better distrubited with it. I also use it as an indication on how the stove is running. If it is running to fast and it looks like it is about to take flight I am running it to hot, if it is not turning or tunring very slowly it is running to low. Is it a replacement for a fan designed for your stove, no, will it help circulate the heat, yes, will it run without power, yes, will it cool you stove off and cause your stove to stall if you do not have a solid secondaries established, no.

Has anyone used one of these before?

http://www.northlineexpress.com/eco...ID=974935334&gclid=CNj35_T2q7QCFcyf4AodSj8AxQ

I am contemplating purchasing one for times when the power goes out. The fan is powered by the heat from the stove. I think it seems like a great idea, but I would like to get some other opinions and feedback from those who have used one. Thanks for any input!

Welcome to the forum num1hitter.

We bought one but sent it back 2 days later. As Oldspark stated, it is a toy. It can't move enough air to make a difference.

If you really want to move some of that warm air out of the stove room, there is a neat little trick you can do and you'll be amazed at the difference in heat in the far rooms. You need a small box fan or better yet, a small desktop fan. Sit that fan in the hallway or a doorway, run it on the lowest speed setting and rather than blowing the hot air, blow the cool air into the stove room. This will in effect move the hot air out of that room and into the farther rooms. The reason this will work better than trying to move the hot air is that the cooler air is a bit more dense so moving that cool air into the warm, forces the warm air out. Give it a try!

Welcome to the forum num1hitter.

We bought one but sent it back 2 days later. As Oldspark stated, it is a toy. It can't move enough air to make a difference.

If you really want to move some of that warm air out of the stove room, there is a neat little trick you can do and you'll be amazed at the difference in heat in the far rooms. You need a small box fan or better yet, a small desktop fan. Sit that fan in the hallway or a doorway, run it on the lowest speed setting and rather than blowing the hot air, blow the cool air into the stove room. This will in effect move the hot air out of that room and into the farther rooms. The reason this will work better than trying to move the hot air is that the cooler air is a bit more dense so moving that cool air into the warm, forces the warm air out. Give it a try!

Thanks for the tip...I will definitely try that out and see how it works.

Blowing the cool air toward the stove definitely works better. I experimented with a ceiling fan also, and found it doesn't do much except get the warmer air from the ceiling moved around.

Blowing the cool air toward the stove definitely works better. I experimented with a ceiling fan also, and found it doesn't do much except get the warmer air from the ceiling moved around.
Our bedroom is at the far end of a split level ranch....we run our cieling fan above our bed, and I think it actually helps push the hot air from the cieling down on top of the lower cold air, and pushes it (the cold air) down the hall and into the living room (stove room)....you can feel the differance in the breeze when you sit on the steps

Status
Not open for further replies.