heat shield - chimney pipe/hemlock beam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwooten

Aug 12, 2015
NS Canada
We have our BlazeKing Princess Ultra in-situ, installed/certified... with one exception:

One of our hemlock beams above the living/dining space falls within 6" of the chimney pipe, so we need a heat-shield.

The beam is 10" tall, the pipe is 6" diameter.

I have been using a local machine shop to do a lot of our post and beam hardware, which we have been powder-coating white... I was hoping to have them fabricate a 10.25"x18" steel plate with inset pilot holes in the four corners, powder-coat it white, then paint some 1" long copper pipe standoffs to match and mount the plate with lag screws.

Our stove installer said it should be fine, as long as we extend the plate at least 6" past the pipe in both directions, and cover the beam face entirely.

He never mentioned how thick the plate should be, however. Any ideas on that front? Or, is a steel plate not the best solution here? Should I be looking at other material (copper sheet etc.?)

Thank you for any input!

single wall pipe can only be reduced to 9" with a shield per nfpa211 (not sure about Canada code)

home saver pipe shields are listed UL at 6" however.

24 ga or heavier sheet metal will do.

Make the heat shield from hammered copper. It looks great. Get some 2 inch copper nails, nail them one inch into the beam. Make holes in the heat shield near those nails. Then nail the heat shield on with copper nails, you will get your one inch air space.
I have a large hammered copper heat shield for my Jotul. Copper has the unique characteristic of reflecting nearly 100 percent of the heat that strikes it. With my stove running at 600 degrees I can hold my hand on the heat shield and it is cool to the touch. It is hardly 75 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.